Loads for the new 257 Wby

gnlvr22

My build should be done around the beginning of July. Anyone want to give up their pet loads? 28" 1-9" twist. Thinking about 100g Barnes TTSX OR 115g Bergers. Gun will be primarily used on groundhogs and coyotes...with some whitetails eventually. Just looking for a starting point

my cdl likes 100 sierra flat based spitzers and 7828. It also shoots 100 bts real well but not quite as well as the sierra.

I agree with the 100 gr Sierra bullets. They shoot extremely accurate in every 25 cal rifle I have ever tried them in.

I too have the Rem CDL. I had to free float the barrel before I could get any kind of acceptable results with it.

110gr Accubond H1000
117gr SST RL25
75gr Vmax RL22, IMR 4350

These are what works the best for me at this point.

my cdl is floated and bedded too but i did it before i even shot it so i cant say how it effected accuracy. All i know is its shoots well now.

Don't have a lot to add other than the .257 Wby will likely be my next rifle as it shares ballistics with the .30-378 I just bought. And that the 100gr Sierras are good bullets in a quarter bore, they shoot great in my Wby .25-06.

I have never got the 115 VLDs to shoot good in my vanguard backcountry. I like the 100gr Barnes TTSX and H-1000. I have shoot some 100 Sierra MKs with H-1000 too and they shoot really good and at speeds of 3600fps.

My 257 is my favorite rifle, I have used it on coyotes up to moose all with Barnes bullets. I'm sure you will like yours when it's build.

I have a rem cdl SF it likes
110gr accubonds
61 gr IMR 4350
fed 215 primers

I havent played a lot with other loads , it shoots this .5 though so Im sticking with it and Im using 4350 in my other guns so no need to change rgt now
My cdl sf is factory ,no bedding , just have trigg adjusted all the way down

Am I correct in thinking that any of the 3 (TTSX, Sierra, or VLD) will do a good job on anything from groundhogs to whitetail?

The Barnes tsx and ttsx have worked from coyote up to moose, Elk whitetail mule deer antelope and a mountain goat. Can't comment on the VLDs or serria's performance on game.

Am I correct in thinking that any of the 3 (TTSX, Sierra, or VLD) will do a good job on anything from groundhogs to whitetail?

They should all do what you want them too, if you can get them to shoot out of your rifle. I can't get the 115 grain TSX, or the VLD's to shoot out of mine. Too bad for me!

115gr Berger VLD
71gr R-25
Fed 215
Wby Brass
3201fps Avg

No pressure signs sub MOA/MOA groups at 100yds. Didnt change anything on the die when I started loading the 100gr Hornady bullets.

100gr Hornady Spire point(interlock)
73.5gr R-25
Fed 215
Wby Brass
3402fps Avg.

No pressure signs, produces sub MOA groups at 100yds. This load shot on the same horizontal plane as the 115 Bergers, but approx. 2" to the right.

Used this load to harvest a deer this past season, makes big nasty holes and leave lungs and heart a jelly like substance at 50yds.

Since I already have the 100 TTSX and 115 VLDs i guess I'll try them before I buy some Sierra's. Thanks for the loads Doc...just curious if you tried reloader 22? Quick load is showing similar velocities but with about 10% less powder with it. Not that I have any idea...you're the one that actually has a gun to shoot them ha. Thanks for the replies everyone just waiting on the gun now gun)
PHP:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.