Load work up for Double Rifle????

FYI. Others I know have found it somewhat hard to get doubles to regulate from a benchrest. Best results were obtained by building a "walk-in" rest that supported the shooter's body, allowing the gun to be fully supported by the shooter only, as if shooting offhand, which is what you will probably be doing. Just wanting to help.

What happened in Africa 37 years ago? How did your friend and his hunting companions get killed?
Rebels on the boarder of Zaire (Now Congo) killed them and took the guns, Land Rover, meat from a Kudu, their Papers,IDs, binos, and probably most of their clothes and boots! They buried them in shallow a grave. 6mo later their remains were found scattered over a couple kilometers! The only thing positively Identified from my friend was his jaw bone and his upper arm bone,both confirmed from medical records and the help of a missionary Doctor who knew the PH.
This was the first I ever knew there was and is parts of the world where fanatics of a religion were slaughtering Christians or anybody who they viewed as nonbelievers! As a result of this I vowed I would never step foot on that continent or provide a dime for it.
However I have now come to grips with the fact that the animals of Africa will be wiped out in a few short years if hunters don't get involved!
Only Hunter dollars and Hunter involvement can do that, so as a result I have to face my own feelings and do my part! My dad hunted there many times in the 50s &60s and said the changes that were afoot then would lead us to where we are today! I wish he was here to guide me but I have many stories, pictures, notes and 4 guns he used there! So I'm on a mission! Thanks to people I've met thru Safari Club, all fellow hunters I'm on a quest.

FYI. Others I know have found it somewhat hard to get doubles to regulate from a benchrest. Best results were obtained by building a "walk-in" rest that supported the shooter's body, allowing the gun to be fully supported by the shooter only, as if shooting offhand, which is what you will probably be doing. Just wanting to help.
I found a note from my dad who said something similar,but also recommended shooting from "cross sticks".

Great advice from the guys here re standing rest, the book "Shooting the British DR, and Accurate reloading forums.
You may want to pay particular attention to 2 threads, "the double rifle bullet of the future" and "vintage DR and modern bullets"
What kind of DRs do you have? Pictures are always appreciated!

Rebels on the boarder of Zaire (Now Congo) killed them and took the guns, Land Rover, meat from a Kudu, their Papers,IDs, binos, and probably most of their clothes and boots! They buried them in shallow a grave. 6mo later their remains were found scattered over a couple kilometers! The only thing positively Identified from my friend was his jaw bone and his upper arm bone,both confirmed from medical records and the help of a missionary Doctor who knew the PH.
This was the first I ever knew there was and is parts of the world where fanatics of a religion were slaughtering Christians or anybody who they viewed as nonbelievers! As a result of this I vowed I would never step foot on that continent or provide a dime for it.
However I have now come to grips with the fact that the animals of Africa will be wiped out in a few short years if hunters don't get involved!
Only Hunter dollars and Hunter involvement can do that, so as a result I have to face my own feelings and do my part! My dad hunted there many times in the 50s &60s and said the changes that were afoot then would lead us to where we are today! I wish he was here to guide me but I have many stories, pictures, notes and 4 guns he used there! So I'm on a mission! Thanks to people I've met thru Safari Club, all fellow hunters I'm on a quest.

Cutter1:

I was stationed in our embassy in Zaire from 1977-1980, which I judge from your reference to "37 years ago" was just a couple of years before the incident to which you refer took place. Zaire has been a troubled place from independence (1960) right up until the current time. It is a huge country with a number of tribes, lots of mineral wealth, and a poor system of government. That's a bad combination. However I doubt you will be planning to hunt in Congo, as there are better countries for hunting big game. Congo's problems should not be an issue in Botswana, for example, where there is still some good hunting. When I lived in Tanzania the big game hunting was magnificent, but that might not be the case any longer.

Good luck with your African safari. I doubt big game hunting will still exist on that continent in another 25 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.