Load for fireforming .243 AI?

TORCHRIDER

What technique do you recommend for fireforming 100 .243AI cases from std. .243? Should I run a light bullet out into the rifling over a medium charge of a faster rifle powder?

Any thought to pistol powder under cream of wheat? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

this what I do with my other wildcats. I use a cheap bullet that's on the heavy side with a very good stiff load. Before firing the first round I'd check the chamber out to see just where it is. The case has to be ridgidly contained in the chamber before firing. Also recommend that the bullet be seated into the rifeling. By chance did the barrel come with a couple once fired cases? If so, then your home free! Then you can measure the datum line and compair it to the new unfired cases.

When you shoot the first couple rounds, do a check to see if the cases are strait. If not then up the charge slightly (all you need todo is roll them on something flat, and look for daylight under them). Also look at the shoulder where it joins the neck. This should show a slight radius, and be perfectly formed. If all goes well then have fun
gary

Thanks Trickymissfit!
The barrel does not come with fired brass. It is a Shilen.
I tried searching but only found very old posts. I suppose things havent changed much over the years, but wanted to get some up to date opinions.

Thanks

You did not look very hard----my search came up with 20 or so in the last few months! Example http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/fireforming-need-advice-58862/

Research then ask questions--I understand you are very new to reloading from your posts on this and the dies. Do a lot of searches so you can gain a basic understanding of the subject matter before posting.

You will get a lot more responses.

Actually I have been reloading rifle and pistol for 30 years, but have never owned a wildcat/non-factory chambering.

I would like to ask you not to assume how hard I searched or what experience I have because you cannot possibly know me from a few posts.

Perhaps instead of taking the time to criticize me, you could use that time to help me out.

Fortunately there are plenty of other folks on this site who have chosen to assist me, to include via detailed PM's.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help!

You did not look very hard----my search came up with 20 or so in the last few months! Example http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/fireforming-need-advice-58862/

Research then ask questions--I understand you are very new to reloading from your posts on this and the dies. Do a lot of searches so you can gain a basic understanding of the subject matter before posting.

You will get a lot more responses.

Don't let Boss Hoss get ya, he's a great help, completely change my wind doping, but can come of a little abrupt.

My last fire forming experience says to not to take any more life out of that barrel than you have to, I think royinidaho has some stuff on using fast powder and corn meal that saves barrel life.
If you load a bullet into the lands do it just long enough that you seat the bullet as you cam the bolt down, also grease your lugs so you don't gall them or cause undue wear, works great. I have a fire forming load for most rifles and let my wife practice long range with my fire forming loads, no recoil and they tend to be super accurate but need a lot of MOA.

Thanks for telling the poor guy I am pretty much a no bs person and was trying to help him but it went over his head.

Even included a thread about what he wanted to know---oh well I tried.

Going to run the mandrel through to get the necks perfect and am goint to set up and turn a couple hundred necks I fireformed a few weeks ago for my Jarrett that Speedy built.

Thanks varmint hunter. After reviewing the PM's I got along with the info I have been able to gather from the internet, I think I will fireform using actual loads.

Last edited:
"I would like to ask you not to assume how hard I searched or what experience I have because you cannot possibly know me from a few posts."

Weeell...I disagree with Hoss and his approach from time to time but, in his defense, it IS pretty easy to do a search so it's not unreasonable he assumed the poster didn't try all that hard. AND, when the poster asks basic questions it was also easy to assume he may be a newby seeking simplistic answers to easy questions he should be able to solve for himself. For instance; it's hard to conceive of a highly experience loader getting a mild AI wildcat without a clue how to fireform his new cases when that's so easy to do. Or, like, does he need an FL die or will just a neck sizer do. ??

For sure, it's easy to assume anyone who attacks a responder who DID try to help (even if he didn't spoon feed the info) may find it more difficult to collect input later.

But, enjoy your new toy. :cool:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts