223 AI fireforming load

jgss2

Does anybody have any suggestions for an accurate 223 load for fireforming cases in a 223 AI. It is a 26" 1 in 9 twist shilen barrel.

Thanks

Not sure about a fireforming load for the 223 AI, but I would assume that loading approx. 10 grains of a shotgun or pistol powder (read: fast burning) and then topping it off with either cream of wheat or cornmeal should do the trick. Just stuff a piece of toilet paper or kleenex in the mouth to hold it all in place. Works well and has less wear on the barrel with no $$ wasting on bullets. I have done this with both my 6.5-06 AI and my 277 AM brass. Just make sure you remove your brake (if you have one) before using this process.

All I ever use is my standard load for my .223. Then I just go shoot them. :) Gives me more trigger time and your not going to burn out the barrel on a .223 any time soon so it just keeps things fun.

I agree with the others that say just load up a good load the gun shoots well with a regular case and put those loads to use while fireforming.

Remember with the 223 we are not expanding the case all that much.

I am working on one I just got myself right now. Waiting for the weather to cooperate a little more....

Just like to add that you may want to use the 223 ammo with the brass you want for future use. I have one, LC brass is great; Lapua is fine too. If you start with a reload; a good 223 upper end load should fireform it with no hickups. Charles

Natchez has 1000 NEW LC 09 for $120...Smoking deal, Just received 2000 rounds and they look great avg case weight is 92.00-93.00 with some over and under maybe about 12% so far but only 200 rounds in.

I agree, find a good .223 load that your rifle likes and bang away... thats the + side to the .223 AI. I load 27grs of 332 w/ a 40gr. Close to the same [FONT=&quot]trajectory as my 50gr .223 AI pet load. It's nice, very little POI change.
[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.