243 AI Load Data

Long Dog

I am looking for some load data for a 243 AI shooting 87 grain V max. I am considering Varget, H414, or H380 as the powder; but will take any/all load recommendations. I will be launching these from a custom remmy with a 28" 1/9" twist Pacnor barrel.
Thanks for the help.

Varget and H380 are to fast for a 243AI its doable but it'll just be accurate not fast and accurate. H414 is a good choice as far as burn rate but hogdon 3 digit powders are very dirty and should be used with one of the tamer magnum primers to get a cleaner burn. H4350 with CCI BR2s on Fed 210Ms will do the best for what you need and is very similar to H414, just a lot cleaner.

Backwoods - thanks for the info. Have you loaded 87s VMAX or HPBTs? What velocities are you getting?

I can get an average of 3340 from a 26" 9.25 twist with 46grns H4350 and a 87grn vmax .060" off the lands in a standard 243, your 243AI will take about 2grns more powder and will likely be 50 or so fps faster. I can run then up past 3400fps but accuracy suffers.

I am looking for some load data for a 243 AI shooting 87 grain V max. I am considering Varget, H414, or H380 as the powder; but will take any/all load recommendations. I will be launching these from a custom remmy with a 28" 1/9" twist Pacnor barrel.
Thanks for the help.

I had a 243AI build acouple years ago and really haven't played with it much just got barrel broke in and afew loads works up. My barrels a Hart 1/10 twist and 46gr/H-4350 with 87gr @ 3456fps. Hodgdon had a load of max for the 243 with 45gr/IMR-4007 with 80gr @ 3319fps and I tried that load and I got 3425fps and I maxed out at 47.5gr @ 3683fps.

I plan on during alittle more shooting with that rifle this year and it's going to be a toss up between IMR-4007 and H-4350 with bullets up to 95gr in that rifle. I wish I could help you with the powders you mention but never used them. Well good luck

Tom H-
Thanks much for the input. H4350 seems to be a popular powder for the rifle. H414 seems to be fairly popular as well (according to load data found other places). From what I read H414 is more consistent in the load, but H4350 is the most temperature stable and better for hunting applications where there is a large temperature swing. I may try both and see what my rifle likes. I definately have a starting point now.
Thanks

I was reading this and was surprised to see h4350 pop up so many times. I know you mentioned an 87gr bullet but if this helps anybody else I'll give my load for a different weight. I shoot a 70 gr Nosler with H4350 and I actually shot 2 groups with it today and both were in the .3's
Seems to be a good burn rate.

Tom H-
Thanks much for the input. H4350 seems to be a popular powder for the rifle. H414 seems to be fairly popular as well (according to load data found other places). From what I read H414 is more consistent in the load, but H4350 is the most temperature stable and better for hunting applications where there is a large temperature swing. I may try both and see what my rifle likes. I definately have a starting point now.
Thanks

I have a .243 AI as well, however mine is built for a diffrent purpose. The light weight bullet loads, 85 grns or less I leave to my .243 win. Mine is a light weight deer rifle meant to shoot 100gr bullets a a faster than average velocity from a shorter bbl. That being said, I will will say that h414 is probabally the best powder suited for a .243 either the AI or the standard. (of course this is my opinion) I've loaded everything from H414, h4895, Imr4895, h4350, Imr 4350, varget and a few others. I've found that it's possible to get the velocity and accuracy without running at higher pressures with h414. I does need a magnum primer, but that's more of a precaution rather than a necessity.

I'm getting 3000fps with a 100g sierra gameking out of my 20" bbl in my AI. I'm also getting 3500fps out of my Standard .243 with 75g Sierra Hollow points. It's a Remington VLS. (I don't like posting charge weights.)

I guess, my point is that h414 is worth a try. give it a chance.

Dan

Dano1-
How is your accuracy with your rifle using H414 at 3500 FPS? That is smoking pretty good.

At 100 yds, It shoots one hole groups these are 5 shot groups. I've used this load to shoot chucks at 600+ yds. It's almost boreing accurate. Yes, 3500fps is smoking fast, some think it's too fast, however with H414 the pressures aren't very high, its quite safe and the accuracy is really good.

I also like setting up empty 410 shotgun shells at 200yds and picking them off, just for something too help me practice. The recoil is virtually non exhistant.

I will be developing a load using h414 and a 55g nosler spitzer flatbase this summer. I was able to get 1000 bullets for relatively cheap. I shoule be able to get them going 4050-4100fps, if my calculations are correct. The chrony will tell.

I'll try to scan a target with one of the one hole groups. I've never done this before, but ill see if I can get it done.

Dan

when all else fails try some time tested 4320. 77gr. Lapua Winchester brass

210M I shot 5 in .300. 35 to 38 in speed. I found this load looking for

243AI load. what twist is ur barrel? makes a difference in impact and group size. mine

is a shilen 28" select match. black hills ammo is good. I look at the burn rate

chart RL15, H414, 4320, W760 and ramshot Hunter. I loaded 3 rounds of each

powder, same bullet, primer and brass. food for thoughtlightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.