Load Development for my 284 Win XP

You could always get both forends, so regardless of barrel length you are good to go.
We had several guys help me pick up steel yesterday and we did some shooting first at 775 yards.
My son is shooting a 7SAUM XP
Built by Mac's Gunwork, Holland brake, Leupold 6.5-20 Mark 4

Looks like I am going to have to do more practicing after watching those videos
When it comes to the Mcree stock do you like the 9" vs the 12". Or does it depend on the barrel length. I was planning on a 12" but keep thinking maybe it is to long. I'm figuring on a barrel between 16-"18"

That is the way I did it.
Sort of the "cry once" mindset:D

Hate to say it but your right. However you are also the reason I'm crying I've wanted to customize my xp for a couple years now and at the same time seeing all your awesome xps. I couldn't take it anymore. So I gotta lot of crying coming. I just need to decide on a caliber. I like 6.5x284 but I'm afraid of short barrel life plus I prefer a heavier bullet. That 284 win is very interesting to me but i dont know much about it. That might be what i like about it. Or just a plain old 7mm mag. Hard to go wrong with that. All 3 are caliber a I don't own so I guess all will be fun.

The 284 Winchester is just the 6.5 – 284 necked up.
If you want horsey: 7 saum, 7 WSM, 7LRM, and 7 Dakota
I would stay away from a belted case if it was me

It depends on what you want.
A 16-18 inch tube will do good for you.
I am really interested in continuing load development with H-4350 and see how it yields compared to H-4831sc.
With the 15 and 16 inch barrels it may be the ticket.
I like the 17-18 tubes, but that is just me.
If you are considering the SAUM, WSM, LRM or Dakota, I would surely go with a 18"
The more I read about it the more I like it. What would you consider an optimal barrel length. 18"?

If my memory serves me it seems I remember reading a post from Kirby Allen (aka fifty driver) awhile back saying that in his experience of building and shooting several SP's that he seemed to consistently notice the 7wsm being the most accurate of all. You may dig back through his posts or contact him. Just thought it might apply to the subject.

It depends on what you want.
A 16-18 inch tube will do good for you.
I am really interested in continuing load development with H-4350 and see how it yields compared to H-4831sc.
With the 15 and 16 inch barrels it may be the ticket.

With the little research I've done most shooters use RL 17 with their 284 Win. Have you ever tried it?

If my memory serves me it seems I remember reading a post from Kirby Allen (aka fifty driver) awhile back saying that in his experience of building and shooting several SP's that he seemed to consistently notice the 7wsm being the most accurate of all. You may dig back through his posts or contact him. Just thought it might apply to the subject.

That's interesting to me I'm going to look into that. Thanks

Reloader 17 typically yields higher MV's.
I use Extreme powders (not temperature sensitive) for hunting.
I do not see any difference of accuracy in my custom built 284 Win, 7 SAUM, 7WSM, or 7 Dakota XP's.

Reloader 17 typically yields higher MV's.
I use Extreme powders (not temperature sensitive) for hunting.
I do not see any difference of accuracy in my custom built 284 Win, 7 SAUM, 7WSM, or 7 Dakota XP's.

Keep in mind I said if my memory serves me right which is laughable! I can't say for sure it was superior accuracy that made the 7wsm stand out but there was something that stood out with it in his experience. He would have to clarify.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.