Need some ideas for my XP

Ray thanks for the info. It has a timney in it and I really like it. I am new to pistols, been shooting rifles for quite some time though. I figure I have to do the stock work anyway so I might as well get it all done so I can do a little shooting. Building them is half the fun. I am a Custom addict I need help:D. Always been in my plans. Three custom rifles 6X47Lapua, 7wsm match, and 7-338norma which will soon be accomplished upon delivery of the norma mag soon. One specialty pistol, and a whole lot of fun.

Brent

Random thoughts,
hard to beat a 6.5x284 with barrel cut to 18"
I have looked at the Lilja myself.
JPbrake, available at Brownells is effective
I have shot rear grip XPs for years and I cannot over state the need to stop the rearward movement.
North Dakota is not that far from Sundance,WY where the 1000yd pistol shoot is this summer, hence the 18" barrel length.

Brent ...
Excellent ...
Not to Suggest your lack of Shooting Experience at all ... just commenting on your post ...Long Range Pistols are a different Animal ..
The Custom Rifles sound awesome , esp , the 7mm on the 338 Norma ... I'd like to hear alot more on that.
Since you already are set up for the 6x47 Lapua ...That would be a great one for the Long Range Pistol .. a 8 twist would launch the 105 to 108's , and get you Way Out there , with great Accuracy .
Again , just a thought
Ray

Last edited:
Here is a novel idea- Don't do anything. Just shoot it.

Bottom row is the XP 100R bone stock 260. Load is IMR 4350, Norma brass, Fed 210GM and Berger 130s. Last group on lower right is 0.4 MOA which is good for me shooting. I shot two groups of the starting load being as I was not sure my technique was very good but it seems to be consistent (even if not good). I was happy the barrel would stabilize the 130 grain Berger. I can now start playing with seating depth and tweak things a little.

Target3-52.jpg

The two upper rows of targets are me testing some new F-class 308 loads. The 155.5 Berger seems to like about 46.3 or so grains of Varget.

Thanks guys I guess you talked me into leaving it a 260 for awhile at least. Sure won't help my addiction though:D. Besides I walked into the local gunshop and the guy who does all the ordering brought me a 6.5X284norma in a Savage 112BVSS. He knew I was interested in the caliber and I wanted a repeater. So I got myself a new project and I am happy once again.

thanks guys

Brent

Ray I went out and visited my smith yesterday. 308 nate(Straight Shot Gunsmithing). He told me about two weeks for the 7-338norma aka 284Jazz. I mentioned an idea when we were hunting whitetails last fall about bolt fluting. He loved it and wrote some code and I got to check it out yesterday. It looks awesome and I can't wait for the end result. I gave Nate and Liz freedom to do what they wanted with this one. Color, stock, everything. I however had to pick the scope. I am sure myself or Nate will post our results. The closer they get the more impatient I get.

bar63 went out and shot it yesterday, I don't think I will be coming to WY for quite some time to compete.

Brent

Last edited:
Sounds like that 7mm will be pretty cool....I will be most interested to see the finished project... Shoot the 260 , Its a great cartridge...
Ray

I have 2 xp100r's One is a .243 and the other is a .260 I love them both. However, I needed a project so I am re-barreling the .243 to a 7MM08. I am going to leave the custom RCS barrel at 20" and see how it shoots. If the recoil is not to bad, I will leave it alone. If its a thumper, I will brake it. I am excited to get this project done. Back to your original question, I would leave it as a .260 I will not change mine!

yo tengo una xp100 r en 260 y la estoy estrenando , llevo recien unos 20 tiros y mañana le dare otro tanto . En argentina no es un calibre conocido y por lo tanto no hay balas , y muy pocas puntas . Y tampoco polvoras adecuadas . pero estoy logrando hacerla funcionar bien .aca unas fotos de como la pinte .

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.