Load Development- 28 nos/H1000

Hikinghunter

Working on load development with H1000 with 160gr AB's. Nosler's website has a load range of 77-81. The reloading manual has 74-79 grains.

Anybody using H1000 for 28 nos care to share your load data? Somewhere between 74-81 grains is a big spread, wondering where folks actually land.

I always look at several sources to see where other info lands with the parent source.
In your case, I would start at 77g and work up to 81g, your preference will rule whether you go up in full grains or half grains.
I load to full grains, then play with half grains once a load shows promise.

Cheers.

Be careful with other's data on the 28, there is a massive difference in my data loading 3.6-3.7" OAL and someone else loading 3.34" OAL. Some of my loads are several grains over max loads at short OAL and are completely safe and sane pressure in my rifles.

Like MM just load at whole grain intervals looking for pressure signs and IMO you have to do this over a chronograph. I'd also start at 77 or 78 and if you can load long I would load up to 85 or 86, you can easily pull the top couple charge loads if you see pressure signs or velocities well above what you should be seeing. From there I take the charge down a grain from pressure signs on the brass and do a seating depth series. AB are fairly easy to get shooting well, I would start at .010" off the lands and go shorter in .020" increments to .100" off the lands. Shoot them round robin and you'll see an area that is better than the others, in a 28 running hard I run at the very longest seating depth I can in the node that shoots well because the throat moves fast. Once you know the ballpark OAL that shoots well you can find the long and the short end of that seating depth window. Loading long in that window gives you a lot longer window of the rifle shooting really well as the throat erodes, I'd rather have that than the very best possible load and have to keep tuning/tweaking to keep it. 28 doesn't have a long enough barrel life to spend a lot of time on load development for me.

So, I worked up some loads. At 77 grains I had a flattened primer, and 3175 fps. Given that the velocity at max loading is supposed to be 3230, I'd say 77grains is pretty close to the top. I'm going to work up loads in the 74-76 grain range and see how they do.

I had a flattened primer, and 3175 fps.
The 28Nosler is a 65 KSI cartridge. You say you have a flattened primer but is it only one or multiple? Have you shot factory rounds in the rifle? If so what did those primers look like?

It's possible that the flattening is not a sign of high pressure or it may be an isolated incidence.

So, I worked up some loads. At 77 grains I had a flattened primer, and 3175 fps. Given that the velocity at max loading is supposed to be 3230, I'd say 77grains is pretty close to the top. I'm going to work up loads in the 74-76 grain range and see how they do.
Increase powder until sticky bolt lift, then reduce 2 grains. I never work up loads with a Chrony, your barrel/chamber may NOT be anywhere near max pressure.
What primer are you basing these observations off? If it's Fed215, then, yeah, not high pressure, they are soft…

Cheers.

Increase powder until sticky bolt lift, then reduce 2 grains. I never work up loads with a Chrony, your barrel/chamber may NOT be anywhere near max pressure.
What primer are you basing these observations off? If it's Fed215, then, yeah, not high pressure, they are soft…

Cheers.
What he said ^^^^^^^.
I look for ejector marks first, then slowly work up to heavy bolt lift, like. 03 grains.
But always do what you are comfortable with. 👍

I ended up at 79.7 gr of H1000 pushing a 162 gr eldx at 3300 fps. That was well before pressure signs so the 81.0 gr max figure is probably about right.

H1000 is a good powder if you want a little more speed try N568. I was running N570 for hunting purposes with big heavies for game. Reason 28 is hard on barrels so I don't shoot it much. Since I have gone to N568 and still getting good velocities and is smaller granules. I use Fed 215 primers. Don't have any experience with light weight bullets. But h1000 is a good choice along with maybe retumbo or rl33 if you can find it. Hard shooting 7 caliber. As said in above posts creep up and try to limit rounds through the tube. Easier said than done. Best of luck!

Recent Posts