28 Nosler Load Development

Chrono's dont kill nothing.
O.P if you can get your hands on some 568 get it and p.m me its great with the 195's. Ive never had great luck with Retumbo its been o.k on the 28. 33 is better but dirty 568 is as good and cleaner.

Chrono's dont kill nothing.
O.P if you can get your hands on some 568 get it and p.m me its great with the 195's. Ive never had great luck with Retumbo its been o.k on the 28. 33 is better but dirty 568 is as good and cleaner.
Yeah. I've been looking. That or 570, but no luck as of yet. I do have some 8133 as well but haven't tried it with the Bergers yet.

I wouldnt shoot 570 in a 28. I would try the 8133 though if you have a couple pounds of it. A 28 is hard to keep in tune especially a hot powder like 570.

The problem I have with that is that I just don't have much room to move the bullet. I can move it in, but I'm at mag length now and can't get any longer. The way the computer spit out the graph isn't ideal with the loads, but I wanted to plot the points.

What are you seeing to say that is a velocity node? I didn't see any consecutively flat spots like I was hoping to find. The only ones were the 78.5-79.0.
Agree that the magazine may define your longest seating depth and the shortest may be when the top edge of the brass neck is just below the ogive where the bullet diameter starts to decrease below .2835-.284". Use those two limits to find the range of your seating depth testing.

The velocity nodes can be found by shooting. Chrono can't always be trusted.

I wouldnt shoot 570 in a 28. I would try the 8133 though if you have a couple pounds of it. A 28 is hard to keep in tune especially a hot powder like 570.
Yeah, I have almost 5lbs of the 8133. I was going to see how Retumbo did first.

I skim read all replies and couldn't find mention whether the brass you used was new or stable fire formed brass?
I never run group powder tests before seating depth has been tested, this does 2 things, tells you what the gun likes for CBTO and gets you a fire formed case to try other seating depth tests with other bullets.
A chronograph is not going to tell you where the flat spots are, only a ladder test will tell you this, a chronograph requires ten shots of data at least to be relevant.
I do all my testing at 100 for seating depth, powder is done at 300 and ALL loads that look promising are tested at 600, which entails 10 shot groups, which is the minimum of anything statistically relevant, a 3 shot group means nothing in precision rifle testing.

Cheers.

I skim read all replies and couldn't find mention whether the brass you used was new or stable fire formed brass?
I never run group powder tests before seating depth has been tested, this does 2 things, tells you what the gun likes for CBTO and gets you a fire formed case to try other seating depth tests with other bullets.
A chronograph is not going to tell you where the flat spots are, only a ladder test will tell you this, a chronograph requires ten shots of data at least to be relevant.
I do all my testing at 100 for seating depth, powder is done at 300 and ALL loads that look promising are tested at 600, which entails 10 shot groups, which is the minimum of anything statistically relevant, a 3 shot group means nothing in precision rifle testing.

Cheers.
It's all been fireformed. I know I need at least 10 for good stats in speed. I really didn't have any idea where I needed to be for charge weight and was trying to get somewhere.

Cheers.
Unless you shoot 3 3 shot groups. A 28 nosler is not a good candidate for a 10 shot group.

I went through the 180 ELD, 180 Hybrid, both with Retumbo, H1000, and LRT. My gun liked the 180 Hybrid with H1000, I know I was giving up about 100 fps, but the Elk didn't seem to notice. Hunted that load for several years, got bored, tried some 143 Hammers, again with H1000. That load is just as boring, shoots awesome out to 1000, kills Elk just as well as the Berger. I do like the 3500 fps velocity with the Hammers though, I can dial up a 300 yard zero and just leave it, don't have to dial up until around 400 yards.