Little Belts MT

chetraguse

Anybody have any input on hunting the south eastern portion of the Little Belts? Have hunted more in the central part of the belts but not the eastern edge. Have heard some of the elk move out as the season gets late. I will be hunting probably the last part of the season. Thanks.

I hunted a few days there last year. Couldn't find an elk to save my life. Last day there we saw literaly one giant herd on private land that had somewhere between 600-800 elk. There wasn't another elk for tens of miles around. They seemed to know where they were safe and weren't leaving any time soon.

I hunted there last year as well. Assume you're talking east of white sulphur Springs. It's a very popular area (White sulphur) but I didn't find any elk in that part of the little belts. They get pressured pretty hard there with all the hunters staying in WSS, I think they probably hang up in the mountains as best they can until the snow drives them out, but I don't think they spend long in the low areas before they move onto private. Know a guy that's had success hunting the border of the national forest close to private...he's killed them on their way down to the private and on their way back up after one of the guided hunters or landowners on private pressure them back up into the forest. It's a nice area but I wouldn't expect to find them on the big, easily accessible BMAs down there. I didn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.