Little 6mm

davkrat

Thinking about getting a barrel made in 6mm. Plan on shooting Nosler 55 grain lead frees and 90 grain Etips out of a 20" barrel. Figure the larger capacity chamberings (.243 AI, 6mm Rem) would be a waste in a short barrel. Always been intrigued by 6mm BR but maybe a Daaher or BRX would be better? Any thoughts?

How about a 6x 45. I just had one made with a 16 inch tube and am just getting it dialed in. Just neck up 223 brass and you are good to go. With 95 gr pills you can get 2600 2700 fps. Have not chronographed mine yet as I'm still trying load work. I'm very happy with it so far with 95sst. Next load work ill get fps.

I've got a 6 TCU, 6 BR, and a 6 Dasher.
The BR and the Dasher are hands down my favorites:D The BR and Dasher are a bit more expensive to shoot (Lapua brass of course:D), but they are ultra efficient and accurate. I would go with the Dasher, but that's just megun)

-Mike

How are the BR or Dasher out of a 20" tube? Doubt I'd be losing much.

The Dasher should push the 90 gr. E-tips 2900 fps +, and the 55 gr. bullets at ~ 3550 fps from a 20" barrel. Forming Dasher cases is no big deal.
I'm pushing 105 hybrids from a 15" Dasher just shy of 2700 fps w/32.0 grs of Varget.

-Mike

You don't have to go with a small case just because it has a 20" barrel. For grins I chambered a 20" 243 barrel to 6mm-284. Got 3400 fps with a 87 gr V-max with 51 gr of RL-17. Also got 3100 plus with a 55 gr nos bt. Accurate too. Want more velocity you can get it even with a short barrel.

Just sounds like a 1/3 of a case of unburnt powder would be flying out the barrel. The efficiency and barrel life of those little cases appeals to me.

Of course I've had and shot a 243 but I "switched" to a 6-6.5Grendel/6mmAR. Also in the safe is a nice little 6BR.

IMO: twist rate will rule your world.

Because you want to shoot long for caliber lead free and short flat base, an 8tw IIWM.

20" barrel is fine.

So many choices:
6x45 (6mm-223)/TCU
6mm PPC
6mm-6.5Grendel
6x47L
6BR and all the derivatives
6mm-6.8 SPC
6mm-7.62x39
243 of course

You makes you choice, you pays you money. Yous enjoy the results.:)

I have 3 rifles chambered in 6MM Remington. Personally I see no reason to go wildcat. IMO, outside of 30 caliber it is probably the best caliber for deer and small game and varmint critters around. 55 grain ballistic tips are awesome as are the 75 grain for bobcats and coyote type stuff. 90 95 100 105 grain all have nice flavors of bullets for deer and elk and other bigger game. Its a mild recoil gun and can deliver plenty of energy well within the average hunters kill range.
Many will diagree and say 243. I say the 243 isn't worthy of carrying the 6MM's jock sweat.

For the record I own the following in 6MM
Remington Model Seven 18 inch
Remington Model Four 22 inch
Remington Model 722 24 inch (technically a 244 pre 6MM with a 1:12 twist)

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.