A little dimple.....

So....maybe only guys with a lot of money would buy them...competetion shooters.....there aren't too many of them....

That concept would probably only work on subsonic items. Supersonic projectiles would have to many edges and shapes to deal with the shock wave. I would think that If it would work, a lot smarter minds would have tried it on rockets and planes that have to go from subsonic
to supersonic.

Also as 26 said, It works on a round object because the dimples improve air flow and reduces the drag that forces the ball to slow down and it also adds lift That increases the distance that it can travel. it has to do with the boundary layer.

Ahhhhhh What the hell do I know. Besides who would want to shoot a bullet with pimples:rolleyes:

J E CUSTOM

This sort of like the dimples, the racing cigarette boats use steps on the bottoms of the boats to break friction and suction to increase speed. The original boats were smooth bottoms.

Dimples are probably best saved for other things...

6114BE04-7AC4-4F74-BBBA-CF9FA7E82CC5.jpeg

Lots of people should be getting improved mileage in Idaho falls areas....can a house get improved mileage too or just a "little less wind resistance" with dimples...

David Tubb is doing something similar with a groove around the nose of his bullets.

View attachment 114846

I have seen a test performed using a spiral fluting on the nose of a bullet with the same twist rate as the rifling to aid in maintaining rotation after leaving the barrel. it did not prove to be better because of the increase in surface area of the bullet causing more drag slowing the bullet down faster.

There was also a question of imbalance of the bullet while rotating effecting accuracy. These were large caliber projectiles so the results might not be consistent with small caliber bullets.

Will wait and see on this one

J E CUSTOM

Well i know I don't have those technology to create such a projectile and i sure as hell know theres better shooters on here.....so my portion of the problem is over........prove or disprove.....mythbusters.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.