A little dimple.....

Kinda echoing JE Custom here:

Aerodynamics are way different, air puts up more resistance as you move faster. Dimples on a golf ball help with spin more than anything, which can translate to more distance. The new materials they make golf balls out of now, which are better at being compressed/rebounding off the club, have added more distance than the dimples ever have. Golf balls and cars are not aerodynamic, at least compared to a bullet.

The surface is smooth so it doesn't create more diruption than necessary. If there is a burr in the surface, or the tip is bent, you can see strange things happen downrange. High ballistic coefficient means less drag from the air, that was done by making bullets with longer, pointier tips and less bearing surface (boat tails help here too) to help move the air AROUND the bullet.

I am no ballistician, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night.

Golf balls used to be round spherical balls...no dimples...a smart man figured out(and probably made a lot of money) that dimples on a golf ball allowed fhe ball not only to travel further but also to be controlled better...
On a TV show two guys tested that same idea on a car....it traveled further on a given amount of gasoline.....
If dimples were added to a bullet(albeit really small dimples) would it be more accurate..would it be faster.......would 1moa at a 1000 yards be 1/4moa......
What say ye.........
Good question, I guess you could mold a 50 cal lead ball with dimples and try it out in a Muzzleloader. Let us know what you find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.