Limitations of the 243 on antelope

I shot a pronghorn buck last year with my Dasher and a 103eldx. Shot was 298 yds. Dropped at the shot. The Dasher shoots the 103 at 2905-10 FPS. It's the only animal I've taken with that bullet, but it seems a bit explosive. Was a lot of damage on the entrance side. The 243 I think will be great on antelope. I'd recommend having the shots at 400 to 500 maybe with the 103 eldx.

6mm creed 17" Barrel. 108eldm at 2805. Shot a buck antelope last year at 665. Impact speed1903 and energy 870. Complete pass through right in the crease. Golf ball exit. Ran 30 yards. Dead.

Attachments

• C0AD8B41-C77E-43F6-A6C3-CE5B458C2513.jpeg
    C0AD8B41-C77E-43F6-A6C3-CE5B458C2513.jpeg
    975.8 KB · Views: 104
Turning to the OP, assuming one is talking about pronghorn, any expanding bullet weighing more than about 90 grains will serve well as long as the impact velocity is fast enough to assure reliable opening.

For many bullets, 1800 fps is at about the threshold. Some, however, are advertised to be able to open as low as 1600 fps while a few need closer to 2200 fps to reliably expand.

I set my limit at about 500 to 600 yards. I like the 1000 ft*lbs of energy as a minimum number with good velocities. One episode of Extreme Outer Limits, they shot a antelope with a 338. I've wondered about this myself. If it was super windy with long shots, I would op for the 338 for the BC. I would take the .243 8 out of 10 times. I built a 6.5 SAUM for longer winder shots over the .243...actually I shoot the Dasher now.

Awesome. Thanks man. That is what I was looking for right there, some firsthand knowledge with this particular bullet at those distances. I can say I would feel pretty comfortable with that.

I agree with everything said here. I like 1000 ft/lbs of energy and around 2000 FPS to ensure reliable expansion and transfer of energy. The good thing about antelope is that they generally live in wide open terrain and you can watch the animal after impact and likely get a follow up shot if needed.

just out of curiosity, what is your twist rate? They make some awesome 108-115 grain bullets in .243 but those require a fast twist rate.

I would strongly consider the Berger 108 elite hunter with that twist rate. especially if you want to have increased energy and velocity out past 600 yards. You will probably only be giving up 50-100 FPS at most and the improved BC will more than make up for it at distance.

Have you hunted Antelope before ? Contrary to myths, they are not difficult to spot and stalk well within the 243's killing envelope.

Your 243 will work just fine.
Don't know where you hunt but antelope will give any elk a run for their money for staying out of range after about 1 hour after opener!!

Wyoming on public land where ATVs are banned. Last one killed was 30 THIRTY yards. Antelope are a tad smarter than a bull Elk in the rut. Both are morons compared to an old Mulie or Alpha Wolf.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.