2008 Antelope falls victim to the new 243 AI

Sendero_Man

Picked up my 9 yr. old son early from school today and went out for an afternoon Antelope hunt 6 miles from the house. It was the first day this season that the wind was gentle and was not raining.

We got to the area and looked over about 15 to 18 different bucks and came back to this one because my son liked the longer cutters. He wasn't the tallest or widest one, but Tyler thought he was "cool looking" so we decided on him for the shooter buck. I have 2 buck tags this year, so that was fine with me.

I drove back to the area we saw him and he had moved off with a hot doe. Rut is in full swing right now. We found him about a 1/2 mile down the draw and he had picked up 3 more does and a smaller buck.

Tyler was running the Leica 1200 crf and the spotting scope for me. He told me 520 yards and the wind is blowing a little bit from side to side.. Meaning left to right.

I dialed 6 MOA for elevation and 1 MOA for wind, set up the stoney point sticks and took the shot as soon as the buck cleared the two does.

Load was 115 DTAC moly in my new 243 AI. 3136 fps. YES that is right, a match bullet does great !!
2008_Goat_520_yards.JPG

Here is a close up of the heart.. The DTAC 115 performed very well !

2008_heart_115_DTAC.JPG

awesome work! im glad you're loving that 243 ai, might rebarrel my 243 to 243 ai in the future. thats fast for 115s!! i was trying to find the BC of that bullet and i found out taht sierra makes taht bullet for david tubb, right? so its basicly just a 6mm 115gr SMK, if i am right? do you know the BC of the bullet? congrats on a great hunt!

great job SM.....sounds like you have a great hunting partner working the RF and spotting for you....did you get a pic of him with the goat? one of my best trohies ever was a small little antelope buck that i shot with my twin sons along for their first hunt. they were 6 at the time..... we had covered a lot of ground on the last day of the season and never even seen a speed goat, when one of the boys spots one at about 5 miles, without binos!!!! we made a stalk over hill and dale....got within about 400 yds and looked him over. i wanted to pass, but they were adamant that i shoot him.....HE"S THE ONLY ONE LEFT DAD!!!!! it was gonna be a tricky shot but somehow in the process he spotted us and ran right up to us. shot him @ about 75 yds......they are 23 now and we still talk about that hunt. horn size has nothing to do with trophy quality. AJ

520 yards. Wow that is sweet. I will be out in WY later this week. I hope to be able to take a poke like that. In WI we just dont have long shots like that so I always love going west to see if my (novice) practice will pay off.

Good Job!!

Sendera man,
Congrats on the buck and the good shooting. I have also used the 115 DTAC on deer and antelope with good success with a 6mm-284 XP-100.

Congrats Scott! That's a beautiful shot. A great day for you and your son.

I can't believe (well I guess I can) that you've got 2 buck tags. You Wyoming guys are in antelope heaven. I have to wait 7 years to get an antelope tag up here.

Congrats again, looking forward to future results from the 243AI.

Congrats scott!!!!

dang 2 tags this year for goats!! that must be nice man, enjoy the hell out of it, were all jealous :D:D

congrats
steve

The DTAC 115 BC is .585 After talking to Tyler at Superior Shooting, he says the 111 is very similar BC and still in the "testing" stages. Hopefully available soon. With the performance of the 115, might not change anyways.

Yes, very fortunate to live here. There are lots of goats around and many private land dominated areas that allow 2 tags if you are forunate enough to get permission to hunt. Same with deer this year too... Now if only the forest circus would allow 2 elk tags for bulls..... LOL

Yes, I did get a pic with Tyler, who turns 10 this Friday, with the goat.... He wants the horns hanging in his room.... :)

thanks all for the comments.

Good job Scott

My wife's birthday is on Friday too.

Now for that second goat.

All of the times I've been out West I've never hunted Antelope, its going on the list though (looks & sounds like fun).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.