New 243 AI build to the Range...NEW VIDEO

Sendero_Man

Took the new rifle out to stretch it's legs a little. Did some load development at 100 then moved over to 200 - 500 steels. I'll post 100 yard stuff when wife gets back with her camera. Took these with mine.

Loaded 47 to 49.5 grains of RL 25 and 115 DTAC moly in .5 grain increments.

5.5 MOA adjustment to 500 Ram. 5 shots where close to 2 1/4 inches on Ram.

shoot_copy1.jpg

243_A5_copy.JPG

Got wife's camera here... 2 best groups 5 shots each.

AI_test_loads.JPG

AI_test_load.JPG

Last edited:
Re: New 243 AI build to the Range...

Nice looking rifle, NICE looking range! I've always loved the 243, I'm sure I'd love the AI even more.

AJ

Scott, I would not hesitate (as yourself) to have George build another 243 Ackley seems he knows them well. I've been shooting some sick groups as of late and I am convinced this is the most accurate rifle I own.

Not sure if it matters but I switched from the 210M's to the regular 210's and seemed to get rid of the stragglers (you know the ones that take your groups from .25 to .375 :D)

You better be careful with what you post he may want that one back after his sheep hunt.

I miss the one I sold you..... But the new one is great too !!

It is hard to sell rifles, but was the way to get this one done.

His rifles are very accurate !! I shot some great groups and put a lot of coyotes down with the one you have now.

Enjoy it and if you ever sell it.. I got first dibs :)

Scott, beautiful finished rifle. Great looking range.

Here's a question for you since you do lots of predator hunting. The 243AI is a bit on the heavy side of things for a predator cartridge, but is there a pelt friendly bullet/load that you would use for coyotes in the 243AI?

tks

Using the 115 DTAC or the 105 Amax and staying away from shoulders, it does a good job and minimal pelt damage. I wouldn't shoot a bobcat with it though.

My .220 Swift with a 55 VMAX comes out on calm days and when fur is prime.

The 243AI just handles the wind and call shy coyotes a lot better than the Swift.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am glad you like the rifles.

The 243 AI is one of my favorite rounds. The 115 dtac is one of the reasons I like it so well. It can hang with the big boys at distance, and it doesnt have severe recoil so anyone can shoot it well. The dtac's seem to work really well on deer and antelope also.

Using the 115 DTAC or the 105 Amax and staying away from shoulders, it does a good job and minimal pelt damage. I wouldn't shoot a bobcat with it though.

My .220 Swift with a 55 VMAX comes out on calm days and when fur is prime.

The 243AI just handles the wind and call shy coyotes a lot better than the Swift.

Have you tried any of the 60gr Varmint Grenades out of your 243AI? Might be something to mess around with for minimal pelt damage. We've ran them to some pretty spectacular velocities and still maintained susprisingly good accuracy. Makes a pretty violent short range round:D

Scott got lucky, I had that one in stock for a personal project. It took 6 months, but that was the fastest I have ever taken delivery. They range from 6 months to 2 years in some cases. My average has been 9 months to a year. In all fairness, I have not ordered one in a while, so delivery times may have changed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.