Limitations of the 243 on antelope

I've killed 20 or so antelope, and am confident that the .243 will do you just fine. I read all the responses and have just a couple observations:
- There was a comment that any good bullet 90 grains or above would do fine. This is true, but that leaves out the 85 TSX and the 80 TTSX, which will also do fine. BUT, in pronghorn country wind is your greatest enemy, and since you have a 1:8 twist, by all means I would go with the higher BC bullets that have been discussed.
- Someone advised against shooting the first 15" "goat" you see. I'm not sure where they hunt - certainly in exceptional country bucks that size might be common - but on the ranch where I hunt in Montana, a 14" is a really good one, and a 15" is rare indeed. Sounds like you'll be guided so no biggie. They'll know what's average and what's great for your unit.
Good luck on your hunt and report back on both your load development and your hunt results!

Cheers,
Rex

This is more of a curiosity of others opinions, I'm interested to hear the varying thoughts on this though. I just returned from a successful bear hunt with Nontypical outfitters, absolutely great bunch of guys if you ever get the chance to go with them, this was my third hunt with them. Two elk and this bear and I'm returning in Oct for an antelope hunt, which leads me to this question.
I normally shoot everything with a 338 Lapua, it is my favorite caliber and you never have to wonder if you have enough gun. I have two of them, a super heavy AI AX, which I shot the bear with, and the Christensen that I posted about earlier this week which I was considering rebarreling.. However I have an AI AT with a couple different barrels, one of which is a 243, which I thought might be suitable for this antelope hunt. It's a deadly, down right scary accurate little rifle and I've always wanted to take it on a hunt and I figured antelope might be just the right hunt for it. I would like to run the 243 barrel because it's fast, flat and bucks the wind good. I'll be running the hornady 103eldx at about 2950fps. Still in load development but that's what it's looking like. Where do you think that combo would run out of reasonable killing energy for antelope sized game. I'm Leary of taking it if it's going to limit my shooting distance because of lack of energy on target. I can confidently shoot in the 500-800yd range so I want to make sure I'm bringing enough horsepower for that at least. I hate to take the 338 on an antelope hunt but I will. Ha ha

A .243 is a great antelope round. That was my antelope cartridge for a number of years. A 95 gr Ballisitc Tip at 3150 fps was very lethal. Never shot one over 425 yards with it. Most were in the 300-350 yard range. You could probably push it's effective range to 600 yards, but it's plenty lethal to at least 500 yards

Collet Die (Lee?) no... bushing or F/L standard Die yes. Do one and measure your neck diameter and case length. May be some trimming/turning needed.

Wyoming on public land where ATVs are banned. Last one killed was 30 THIRTY yards. Antelope are a tad smarter than a bull Elk in the rut. Both are morons compared to an old Mulie or Alpha Wolf.
Ahh ya, antelope in Wy are completely different that what I'm used to in MT, really had fun in Wy!! A lot of my best spots have been destroyed by horse hunters, worse than the ATV's in some areas here!!

Happily ATVs are banned in the wilderness and a lot of public land. Those found in banned areas, unattended, are "targets of opportunity". Makes for a long walk out for some fat-fu----.

I'm too old to walk carrying 30 pounds of stuff. My 1/4 horse doesn't mind.

God I love popcorn!!!! A friend and his wife used to go to Wy every year for speed goats he 06 her 6mm rem no problem.

Last time I went after the goats it was also in Wyoming, with a buddy who used a 6mm Remington. I used a 30-06, and we each shot an animal; his was at 80 yards, and mine was at about 100. Results were identical. With antelope-sized game, they all work about the same in my experience. These animals are not hard to kill. Ditto for deer - even really big deer.

The bigger concern with antelope is the windy environment, and I would let that dictate which cartridge to use. Even at just a couple yards, if it's really blowing ( like it frequently does on the Wyoming prairie ) you had better be thinking about wind drift - and doing whatever you can to minimize it or allow for it. Another thing to consider is how much walking you're going to be doing, and how much rifle you want to carry if you expect to be walking a lot.

At 800 Yards, you will have approximately 1640 FPS of retained velocity and around 600 Ft. Lbs of energy. Seem like enough on paper, but we all know what trusting the paper get's you.

Like most guys, I long range glass, belly crawl up close 1-200 yds unless they are real jumpy. They can be "skittish" at times in bigger groups. They are a small heart shot at 400 yds and 20 mph crossing winds. My avg distance on lopes is 1-200 yds and refuse to shoot on the run, period. Longest 450 yds. Your 243 will b fine if u put a little stalk on em..even in stout wind if you know the wind affects.

This is more of a curiosity of others opinions, I'm interested to hear the varying thoughts on this though. I just returned from a successful bear hunt with Nontypical outfitters, absolutely great bunch of guys if you ever get the chance to go with them, this was my third hunt with them. Two elk and this bear and I'm returning in Oct for an antelope hunt, which leads me to this question.
I normally shoot everything with a 338 Lapua, it is my favorite caliber and you never have to wonder if you have enough gun. I have two of them, a super heavy AI AX, which I shot the bear with, and the Christensen that I posted about earlier this week which I was considering rebarreling.. However I have an AI AT with a couple different barrels, one of which is a 243, which I thought might be suitable for this antelope hunt. It's a deadly, down right scary accurate little rifle and I've always wanted to take it on a hunt and I figured antelope might be just the right hunt for it. I would like to run the 243 barrel because it's fast, flat and bucks the wind good. I'll be running the hornady 103eldx at about 2950fps. Still in load development but that's what it's looking like. Where do you think that combo would run out of reasonable killing energy for antelope sized game. I'm Leary of taking it if it's going to limit my shooting distance because of lack of energy on target. I can confidently shoot in the 500-800yd range so I want to make sure I'm bringing enough horsepower for that at least. I hate to take the 338 on an antelope hunt but I will. Ha ha
IMO, the .243 works perfect out to 600...It might be out of gas by 800 yrds. imho

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.