Like and/or dislikes Tikka t3x?

I do wish the safety didn't lock down the bolt

When the safety is engaged, it pushes the bolt lock up into the bolt to prevent opening. At one point I had a Timney trigger on my Tikka that doesn't have the bolt lock feature.

1672082542492.png

Timney Trigger for Tikka
1672082607890.png

What wasn't ideal about the 7mm and 300 mags? What I'm looking at is buying a 7mm mag I'll shoot it for a bit, then rip the barrel off and swap out for a 6.5-300 wby mag. That is why I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a little short for magnums

None of the three 7mag t3s I know of are what I'd call good shooters. Lot of load workup and accurate loads tend to be very slow. As in 708 slow! Maybe you will have better results with the 7 mag? Not sure of the length of the 6.5-300bea is but there is a reason you dont see the T3 in 300Bea
20221226_143124.jpg

You might have to drop down to the 7mags momma= 264 winmag
The 300winmag does alright with light bullets but you start loosing capacity with the long heavy bullets.
Again not my problem as my shoulder appreciates the lighter recoil of nonmagnums. All of my hunting this year was done with the 6.5 Grendel and two years ago the T3 Sweede filled antelope, deer and elk tags. If I need to hit something wayyy out there the 15lb 338 Edge gets the call.

Last edited:
One thing I will add, harder kicking calibers like 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc get more difficult to shoot little bug holes in the light Tikka T3x platform. The muzzle jump is significant so lean into it and grip that fore end.
It's really unpleasant to shoot without a brake. I don't care what the toughguys say, the recoil and muzzle jump is significant.

What wasn't ideal about the 7mm and 300 mags? What I'm looking at is buying a 7mm mag I'll shoot it for a bit, then rip the barrel off and swap out for a 6.5-300 wby mag. That is why I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a little short for magnums

None of the three 7mag t3s I know of are what I'd call good shooters. Lot of load workup and accurate loads tend to be very slow. As in 708 slow! Maybe you will have better results with the 7 mag? Not sure of the length of the 6.5-300bea is but there is a reason you dont see the T3 in 300Bea
View attachment 422049
You might have to drop down to the 7mags momma= 264 winmag
The 300winmag does alright with light bullets but you start loosing capacity with the long heavy bullets.
Again not my problem as my shoulder appreciates the lighter recoil of nonmagnums. All of my hunting this year was done with the 6.5 Grendel and two years ago the T3 Sweede filled antelope, deer and elk tags. If I need to hit something wayyy out there the 15lb 338 Edge gets the call.
You might want to have my boy shoot one of your t3 7rems 😁 . He's doing very well with rl22 and either 140 Sierra pro hunter or 145 gs in our t3x 7rem. It's a mild load producing 3,000 fps but will do an honest 1/2 moa. I've got a 175 Hornady load worked up with aa8700 that's got a bit more thump and produces good accuracy also. I never did chrono that one but it's full throttle.

As long as I can build Me, a 7 SAUM on my .270 WSM Tikka, T-3 Action,.. I'm Happy !
It will kill anything, on planet Earth with, the "Right" Bullet and "placement" !
Actually, the .270 WSM could, too,.. Just not,.. as,.. FAR
You'd be surprised at how hard, a 140 gr. Berger, .270 bullet, hits at, almost 3,200 FPS without, the punishing Recoil.

Last edited:
My Tikka rifles all shoot well. The factory stocks aren't the best, but there are plenty of options around. Great triggers out of the box and even better with a $10 trigger spring.

I tossed a Tikka .223 CTR in a KRG Bravo and it's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Near zero recoil, very comfortable, and stupid accurate.

View attachment 421602
View attachment 421603
View attachment 421604
I really like that setup. Can I ask how much you have in it ? How many rounds does your mag hold ? Can you buy larger capacity mags for your setup ? What's the twist rate ?

Recoil is real! That altralight 06 has knocked my dumb *** out, short eye relief scope helped. Never a problem hunting but load workup and sighting was an issue.
A brake is not an option for whats left of my hearing so it was threaded for a can!
With a can this is not only a great hunting rig but fun to shoot! With the bipod & can on it it aint an altrlight anymore but the weight helps, its a milk jug killer to 900 yards.
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

I really like that setup. Can I ask how much you have in it ? How many rounds does your mag hold ? Can you buy larger capacity mags for your setup ? What's the twist rate ?

Rifle was $1100 from Eurooptic and KRG chassis was $430 (if I recall correctly). The CTR magazine holds 10 rounds and I think that's the largest capacity for factory CTR mags. Twist on this CTR is 1:8, but they also made a 1:12 version as well.

I'm thinking of buying a Tikka t3x not because I have room in the safes,.I'll have to rearrange some things to fit it in. Do any of y'all have any dislikes about the T3X? And what are the likes about the T3X? I'm looking at this rifle to shoot for a little bit and then rent the barrel change out the stock and make it into a caliber that is an offered, not sure which one yet.
Pros: Value. Cost to performance is extremely good. Never seen a Tikka or a Sako for that matter that wouldn't shoot.

Cons: the Tikkas kick the snot outta ya. In the equivalent caliber, other guns won't boot ya as hard. Not a huge deal but it's present nonetheless

Rifle was $1100 from Eurooptic and KRG chassis was $430 (if I recall correctly). The CTR magazine holds 10 rounds and I think that's the largest capacity for factory CTR mags. Twist on this CTR is 1:8, but they also made a 1:12 version as well.
Thanks so much. 1;8 is what I was interested in.

Pros: Value. Cost to performance is extremely good. Never seen a Tikka or a Sako for that matter that wouldn't shoot.

Cons: the Tikkas kick the snot outta ya. In the equivalent caliber, other guns won't boot ya as hard. Not a huge deal but it's present nonetheless

Agreed, the recoil can be an issue. I had a T3 lite in 308 win (no brake) for some time - I really had to focus while shooting to control the rifle even with a 168 gr Amax. My 300 RUM was easier to shoot!

Tikka's ARE, Sweet Mountain / Back country,.."carry" Rifles,.. IF, you buy, them, in the RIGHT Cartridge, tho !
AKA,.. .243 Win, .270 Win, 7 MM-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 WSM, to, name a few !
Keep those, Boolitz UNDER, 150 -160 grains for, a 7.5 Pound, "All Up" Rifle,.. IF left,.. UN-Braked