Tikka T3x custom or start over

I foresee a future where every gun and and every round of ammo is taxed to the point you can't afford it.
it will be hard for a sitting administration to round up several million guns from law biding civilians. It will not be hard at all to tax you on them until you have to decide if you can finically afford them.
Just my thoughts.
That sure seems like a plan that could be done.

I researched the 280ai for several months and if I built a custom it was on the top of the list. But now it doesn't make sense with ammo shortages and prices what they are.
Seen this coming years ago and concentrated my collection of rifles and ammo to a few easily found calibers (308, 6.5 Grendel, 223, .22, 44mag, and 9mm).
Within those calibers I cover all my and my kids needed hunting and plinking.
I think it's wise to build or customize with what I have a good supply of ammo for.
I feel like that is short sighted thinking, but who knows. If I were in your shoes, I would build 280AI under the mindset that at first, the ammo companies are ramming 9mm and 5.56, but before fall hunting they will be running all the hot hunting calibers 6.5creed, 6.5 PRC, 270 Win, 280 AI, 7mm -08, 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC, 338 Win Mag, 350 Leg, 45-70, 450 Bush....and that maybe about it...probably a few more

Go with a Tikka pre-fit, fixed shoulder barrel. The Tikka action is hard to beat for the price point, but it will not accommodate the longer cases like RUM or Nosler. 300 Win mag is right in its wheelhouse. Patriot Valley Arms sells them - and they use Bartlein blanks. Lots of calibers to choose from.

I agree with you about the punitive taxes that are coming. Along with limiting online sales will also drive up prices and reduce options for consumers

Go with a Tikka pre-fit, fixed shoulder barrel. The Tikka action is hard to beat for the price point, but it will not accommodate the longer cases like RUM or Nosler. 300 Win mag is right in its wheelhouse. Patriot Valley Arms sells them - and they use Bartlein blanks. Lots of calibers to choose from.
300 WM in a Tikka? Not if you want to shoot anything remotely heavy out of it..
A40CB7F7-BEFC-4970-99BB-4FE9BF82448B.jpeg

Just a thought but are you letting that rifle free recoil off the bags when shooting? I had a Tikka T3X .270 that really tightened up when I gripped the rifle when shooting. Don't give up on that gun yet.

or just sell that rifle you don't trust and get an Origin long action! I mean with a Trump $600 and a Pelosi's $1400 in the works, they are practically begging you to upgrade your custom rifle plans!

Last edited:
Just a thought but are you letting that rifle free recoil off the bags when shooting? I had a Tikka T3X .270 that really tightened up when I gripped the rifle when shooting. Don't give up on that gun yet.
This is quite possible. I have came quite comfortable shooting a 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform that I built my daughter . It is a bit more front end heavier and has little to no recoil. The other rifle I have hunted a lot is a rem pss, it's a hog . Saying all that the lack of weight the rifle has is very noticeable to me.
Started disliking it last year , had a buck 100yds broadside actually mounted on the back of a doe. Shot off a steady rest and missed. I was ****ed so I walked out after a minute to see if there was any blood signs . Walked over a rise and him and that doe was standing there looking bewildered at
about 150 yds . Took a shot in a standing position and laid him Out. .
So your thoughts may have something to do with it.
That's why I have thoughts of keeping the
action , longer heavier profile barrel , heavier stock . Don't want it as heavy as the REM but it feels like a toy in my hands .
Maybe cheaper to start over . Like I noted in my original I was aiming towards a custom this year anyway

This is quite possible. I have came quite comfortable shooting a 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform that I built my daughter . It is a bit more front end heavier and has little to no recoil. The other rifle I have hunted a lot is a rem pss, it's a hog . Saying all that the lack of weight the rifle has is very noticeable to me.
Started disliking it last year , had a buck 100yds broadside actually mounted on the back of a doe. Shot off a steady rest and missed. I was ****ed so I walked out after a minute to see if there was any blood signs . Walked over a rise and him and that doe was standing there looking bewildered at
about 150 yds . Took a shot in a standing position and laid him Out. .
So your thoughts may have something to do with it.
That's why I have thoughts of keeping the
action , longer heavier profile barrel , heavier stock . Don't want it as heavy as the REM but it feels like a toy in my hands .
Maybe cheaper to start over . Like I noted in my original I was aiming towards a custom this year anyway
One of the things I thought I would like about my T3, but turned out to not like at all was the toy-like weight of the rifle. Recoil with 30-06 made it no fun to shoot. Much happier now with a solid rifle.

The suggestions to spend a lot of money turning your .308 into a RUM, Nosler or 300 Win Mag would most likely turn your rifle into a self-torture tool unless you put an effective brake on it...and that is even more money thrown at the problem.

If you really feel you need a RUM, Nosler, or 300 Win Mag to pound larger game, start over with a new and better rifle and you will save money in the long run and end up with something definitively more comfortable to shoot and that means shooting better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.