Lightweight Stock Options...?

If it's a sheep or goat gun in 300 WSM and heavy barrel performance is required, I might look at a carbon fiber barrel. I just think the balance might be better.

Light contour barrels are certainly capable of delivering fine accuracy,,,, but not necessarily for 10 shot groups. Sheep shouldn't need 10 shots. The first one (shot) is the one that counts. Nice to have 'follow-up' if one is needed, but you shouldn't need much more. Game animals don't tend to hang around to be shot at endlessly.

Straight out of the box from Brown this blank weighs 14.7oz. It's for a LA wearing a 26" #3 contour Hart barrel chambered in 28 Nosler.

That is half what my Manners EH3 weighs. Which stock style is that and does it have a pad on it?

I went with a WildCat stock. Based in Sherwood Park Alberta. Blank was 17.2 oz. Using it on a 6.5X47 build that will finish right at 8 lbs with a Z5 5-25X52. Had the stock Hydro dipped in Kiui Verde 2.0.

I've used Lone Wolf and BP High country, but with #2 & #3 barrels. I ahd a full blown Matchgrade Arms Mod 700 340w made up back in the 90's, it was too light and kicked the guts out of a Leupold 2.5x8 then a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 at the most "inopportune time" ( think middle of the hunt) I did have a Harris Gun Works ( now defunct I think) build me one of their synthetics on a Mod 700 Sendero 7STW years ago. Neither it nor the Lone Wolf ended up as light as I would like. The Lone Wolf Safari ( back then) worked out swell on a custom mauser I had made up into 404 Jeffry. As did the Harris Gun Works Safari on a Mod 700 .375 H&H BDL SS. Hope that helps a tad. :) Oh yeah, if I had to do it over, most definitely would choose Brown Precision!

That is half what my Manners EH3 weighs. Which stock style is that and does it have a pad on it?

It is just their classic style hunting stock with the "Pounder" and Kevlar option. No pad, yet. Bought it as a "blank", unfinished, not even filled and primed. I'll do all that, myself. May as well put those $$$ in my pocket as Browns!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.