Lightweight Stock Options...?

wilkup

I'm looking for some other options besides McMillan and Manners with this thread because I already have personal experience with each of these.

Here's some brands I see listed in lightweight builds, but have never owned:
- Lone Wolf (Now part of Proof Research. Won't be available for purchase until later this fall)
- High Tech Specialties (Now part of Legendary Arms Works and available unfinished)
- Brown Precision Pound'r

So in reality, I'm actually limited to the last two if I were to build my rifle today. Are there any opinions on which stock is of higher quality? They're fairly similar prices and both are very lightweight. I'll be using a #5 contour if that makes a difference.

Soon as I get this darned Richrads MicroJunk lami finished up, I'll be starting a Brown Precision 'Pounder' blank. The barrel channel appears to be for a 700 magnum contour (the barreled action I'll be using wears a #3 contour). Don't know if a #5 contour would work, or not (Rem mag contour is about a #4 contour). Most light weight synthetic stocks are intended for light contour barrels. Took 5 months to get this 'Pounder' blank. I've used a few High-Tech stocks and the Brown appears to be of stouter construction.

... Most light weight synthetic stocks are intended for light contour barrels. Took 5 months to get this 'Pounder' blank. I've used a few High-Tech stocks and the Brown appears to be of stouter construction.

I'm curious if there's a way to open up the barrel channel just a little to get a #5 in there, rather than the #4, just because I want to run a 300 WSM with flutes. Is it possible to run 5 flutes on a 300 WSM with the #4 contour without compromising the integrity of the barrel?
Would you say the High-Tech stocks are of good quality or am I better off placing an order on the Brown and picking up a B&C Medalist for cheap to take care of my immediate needs in the interim?

Last edited:
My customer wanted the Kevlar option. Mark Brown gave me a few tips on what to expect when finishing this blank. Sounds like I'll have my work cut out for me. A #4 will take a bit of 'opening' the barrel channel, I'd not try a #5,,,,,, there wouldn't be much 'forearm' left. Light weight stock,,,, light barrel contour.

How about the quality of the High-Tech though? Now I need to figure out if it's possible to stuff a #4 into their stock and still add flutes safely with the .308 caliber.

I have a custom kevlar and carbon fiber stock from MPI. Made to my pull length and barrel channel. Best stock I have. It is on a long action. Weight is 20 oz. with bedding and recoil pad. Extremely stiff. Like the looks too. It has two tone webbing.

Attachments

• MPI stock.jpg
    MPI stock.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 74
How about the quality of the High-Tech though? Now I need to figure out if it's possible to stuff a #4 into their stock and still add flutes safely with the .308 caliber.

Most barrel makers will flute a #4 contour. They leave a minimum of .150" wall between bottom of flute and the groove. Doesn't a #5 fluted weigh about the same as a #4 that's not fluted? The High-Tech isn't bad, just different construction than the Brown. A #5 contour and a light weight stock just don't go together.

I have a custom kevlar and carbon fiber stock from MPI. Made to my pull length and barrel channel. Best stock I have. It is on a long action. Weight is 20 oz. with bedding and recoil pad. Extremely stiff. Like the looks too. It has two tone webbing.

I really wish the MPI Rifle Basix style was large enough for the Rem 700 footprint. It was the one I intended to build from, but Lisa explained it was designed for a much smaller action and wouldn't work without extensive modification.

... A #5 contour and a light weight stock just don't go together.

Would the barrel just be too beefy to have the right weighted feel if I went with a #5?
You think a #4 would be better?
Would the #4 still be too big?
I'm adding flutes regardless just because I like the way they look. If I went with a #4, I'd most likely do 5, rather than 6 flutes. The small (~8 oz) weight savings is also nice though.

If you are going to use a short action on that 300 WSM, Brown Precision makes a duplicate of the old Remington 700 Varmint Special stocks. You could fill the barrel channel and use a #5 barrel. The other style of hunting stocks don't have enough forend for a #5 barrel.

As for quality of construction, I don't think anything is as good as a Brown Precision. Their blanks will require more finish work than a McMillan.

I'm not sure about the value of their Kevlar option. I have a Fiberglass version of their Model 7 KS stock they made for Remington. It weighs 18 ounces.

If it's a sheep or goat gun in 300 WSM and heavy barrel performance is required, I might look at a carbon fiber barrel. I just think the balance might be better.

After screwing around with a barrel weight estimator on PAC-NOR's website, I'm pleasantly surprised!

24" Barrel
3.41lbs - #5 contour with 6 flutes running 16"
3.28lbs - #2 contour with no flutes
3.15lbs - #4 contour with 5 flutes running 16"
2.98lbs - #1 contour with no flutes

Based on this, I'd say a #4 may be just the trick for best fit inside the barrel channel as well as offering the the balance I'm looking for.

If you are going to use a short action on that 300 WSM, Brown Precision makes a duplicate of the old Remington 700 Varmint Special stocks. You could fill the barrel channel and use a #5 barrel. The other style of hunting stocks don't have enough forend for a #5 barrel.

As for quality of construction, I don't think anything is as good as a Brown Precision. Their blanks will require more finish work than a McMillan.

I'm not sure about the value of their Kevlar option. I have a Fiberglass version of their Model 7 KS stock they made for Remington. It weighs 18 ounces.

Straight out of the box from Brown this blank weighs 14.7oz. It's for a LA wearing a 26" #3 contour Hart barrel chambered in 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts