Lightweight Longrange Gun??

Here's my backpakcing rig--

APS-built 7-270 WSM/7 twist Pac-Nor. Took this 4x4 at ~330 as i remember it, but i wouldn't hesitate for 1 minute taking an elk at ~700 under ideal conditions--

022_22.jpg

Scan0001_0001.jpg

025_25.jpg

Last edited:
Scenarshooter, great deer and elk. I may give my .308 a try for hunting some day. For now, I just use the big boomers, with the ecception of antelope, I use a 280. It has taken goats out to 540 yards..... It's a Rem 700 with a #4 shilen... It weighs about 9lbs scoped with a leupold 4.5-14x.

Thanks for the input all! Welcome Pat... and all.

SS, that little pistol is Sweet! That would be a fun Backpack gun...I was thinking contender, but something like that would be a little funner!!!

This rifle here goes 7#'s all up. 22" Mountain Rifle Contour in 243. 3.5-10x leupold in Talley LW's and McMillan Mountain Rifle stock....and one of ScenarShooter's slings. The rifle is currently getting punched out to 243AI and I have a McMillan Mtn Rifle stock in edge on order for it. When it comes back I'll work up a 105VLD load for it will use it on deer out to 5 or 600yds with no reservations.

As it is now it shoots very well with just the 75Vmax's which I use just for a goof off load. This was at 500yds just shooting off my pack for a rest. I like light and handy rifles.

DSC_4726.jpg

I don't recall if it was mentioned earlier in this thread or not; but another thing for me when it comes to light rifles is a light trigger. I can't work with a 4# trigger on a 7# rifle. I like them to be light and the trigger on this light 243 breaks at about 11ounces.

I have no problem running light triggers even when its cold and I'm out calling, though I'm sure there are guys who would prefer to run a heavier trigger than what I am on this one.

0120111625a.jpg

260LW7-30-10001.jpg

Here's another one of my favorite lightweight rifles...pretty close specs to my little .308, same stock, barrel contour, scope and rings. Different is the Templar action(Defiance Machine), Badger M5 bottom. It's a .260...pretty potent little setup. Shown above is five shots at 450 meters with 130gr Swift Scirocco's going 2925fps.

Totally agree with Brad on the light triggers for really light rifles. I run Jewell's set at 16oz.

I really like that 260! Have you put any of the SSII's on game yet? I've ran the 6mm 90SSII through 8 or 9 whitetails and have been very impressed with what I've seen from them.

I'll use it this year....starting with black bear in a month or so. I'm expecting good things!!.....grin!

That 130gr SSII has a .571 G7 BC....for real. JBM dope was spot on.

Thks. guys for the comments. That APS rig with the BIG barrel weighs 7.5 lbs. sans bipod. Probably could have gone lighter but Kirby suggested the bigger barrel i think becuse of the torque created with the 200 Wildcat and 7-twist barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.