Lightweight Longrange Gun??

Sapphire

I've been looking at the longrange guns for a few weeks now, reading everything I can. What I am seeing, consistently, are heavy barrels, heavy stocks, big, long, heavy packages in general...

Anyone out there accomplish longrange proficiency with a lighter weight, packable rig? I hunt the mountains alot, hike for miles and miles each day. There are times I've seen nice bulls at 500-800+ yards and just couldnt do anything about it. Most the time, after trekking for many days, I end up getting a good close shot, but I must admit, taking one further out when I have the chance would be just fine!

Whatchya got? Lightweight, LR?

Thanks!

Ernie

Ernie,
I hunt the back country of Montana for elk and put on huge miles every year. I do not have much use for heavy rifles the way I hunt either. I have my own range in my back yard where I can shoot out to 1000yds at my furthest gong. I love guns as much or more than the next guy but every time I put together a new gun for long range it ends up being more of a lightweight. I am going to build one heavy rifle in 338 something but I am more focused on packable long range rifles.
You don't need a long, heavy rifle to shoot game at a 1000 yards. I use a 300win for elk loaded with 210 VLD's . The rifle has a magnum sporter barrel(about #3) and weighs 9lbs including a 21oz scope. It has taken elk out to 890. You just need an accurate rifle with a good trigger, great glass(repeatable clicks) and tons of practice.
I have a Rem 700 SPS SS in 25-06 with a rifle basix trigger as the only upgrade and I can make constant hits to 1100yds in minimal wind. It killed an antelope at 805 last year. The gun weighs 8lbs with scope.
I am having a 7 SAUM built right now that should weigh in at 6lbs 6oz with no scope, it has a 24 in Broughton and a micmillan edge stock and will be my ultimate long range packer.

Good info! Thanks much. I assume mine probably has about that same diameter barrel huh? Do you know what the diameter is? (in inches or whatever)

Where ya at in MT... I'm in Billings. A backyard thou range would be Sweet! I look forward to trying to whack an antelope at 600+ this year...if I can get this 300 shooting!

Thanks

I use a Tikka T-3 Light in 338 Winchester. It weighs 7 1/2 pounds scoped out with bipod. It easily takes elk at 800 yards. I also have one in 300 win mag. Both are excellent backpack rifles which is what I use them for. I own three tikkas and the accuracy is excellent.

I have the same basic set up as Nieko.
300 win mag 8-32 Nightforce Hart barrel Remington 700 action with jewel trigger. 190 Berger VLD at 3050 fps. Serious good shooter. I've had it for a long time and three or so years ago had RW Hart put the barrel on it and man does it shoot. I don't hunt elk much but have shot blacktail deer out to 420. Shot a coyote at over 700 several years ago in Idaho while deer hunting.
Great rifle.

Ernie,
My barrel is about .650 @26", I live in Anaconda and I have been spoiled with a great back yard.

Thanks again. I like Anaconda...lived in Lolo for quite a few years and spent a lot of time south of you in the Dickie Hills hunting elk. And just west in Rock Creek and up near P-Burg...

So, I assume you guys hunt with bipods or do you just use packs and such for rests?

Also... you guys are happy with the VLD's on elk?? I am a barnes guy, but I have never tried their accurracy to be honest (any bullet is "accurrate" enough to kill elk at 300 yards or less....I think)...

Thanks!

I build my own rifles for the most part, but recently picked up a lightweight long range custom I just couldn't pass on. It is a Rem 700 action that's been lightened a bit with fluted bolt, lightened action, and hollowed out bolt handle. It has a 26" fluted Hart and is in the low .6's at the muzzle with a small Vais brake on it. It's chambered in 7mm Dakota and sits in a Brown Precision stock. My guess is it's certainly under 7lbs but I haven't weighed it. I put a VX3 4.5-14X40 Leupold on it with Leupold dual dovetail low rings and all together it can't be too much over 7lbs. I haven't shot it yet, but it was put together by Dave Tooley and the throat shows zero erosion so I'm guessing it will shoot very well. For what I paid for it, I could not have picked up the parts for it so it saved me building a lightweight rifle that would do long range when needed. The only downside was that dies, 100 brass and the scope cost me more than the rifle!

I use a Tikka T-3 Light in 338 Winchester. It weighs 7 1/2 pounds scoped out with bipod. It easily takes elk at 800 yards. I also have one in 300 win mag. Both are excellent backpack rifles which is what I use them for. I own three tikkas and the accuracy is excellent.

Just wondering what load you shoot out of you 338 and also what scope you use?

after googling lightweight LR setups...I now see its very possible... good to know! (not that I didn't take your guys word, I just see the big time customs made by Borden and Brown and Edge etal.....

Thanks for the responses!

Fiftydriver, of APS is making a lightweight long range sporter on his RAPTOR action and barrel called the long range stalker. Shoots just as well as his bigger guns too. That's how I'm gonna go!

Jim

Does that Browning Ti perform anywhere NEAR like something with a custom barrel and true'd action would???
Anyone?

Dad uses a Weatherby Mk V ULW in 7mm Wby Mag (purchased off this site) and has kills at 516 and 812 yards on antelope. My business partner has a Rem 700 KS in 7mm Rem Mag that is a beautiful lightweight rifle (purchased off this site) that would do well if he ever decided to use it - he has a different rifle now for elk.

So, with the right rifle I know it's possible. The biggest factor is practicing and preparing so that you know what will happen at 500 yards when you pull the trigger.

I spent last year testing the barnes 185 TTSX. It shoots 3210 fps out of my Tikka with light recoil and exceptional accuracy. Matter of fact I was just looking at one of the quarter mile four shot groups around two inches. The BC is higher than listed and it is a deadly killer that I have tested on animals to near 800 yards so far. I took several animals with it last year. I have a Swarovski 4-12x50 on it that weighs 14.5 ounces with crystal clear clarity. The BR reticle in it allows me to hold dead on to over 900 yards according to the chart however I have just tested it to 800 yards so far. It is the best backpacker that I have found so far in a reasonably priced rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.