Lightweight hammock........

ol mike

Anybody here ever use one ?

I'm getting ready to order one or two of them -sleeping on the ground sucks.
There are a lot of people -longrange hikers/climbers using hammocks ,and there are alot of different ways to rig and use them even in very cold mountain weather.
There are under quilts ,peapods ,tents that wrap around the ends making them windproof.

I've laid in a hammock before and it is way more comfortable than any 2 pads i've laid on.
There is a lot of good info. at hammock forums to be had ,i'm leaning towards the "jacks r better" lay flat type hammock.

I have taken 2 pads -a blue closed cell foam [very bulky] plus a big agnes insulated inflatable and never had a good nights sleep on any pad.
Trying to find a level spot in the mountains can be a challenge especially when trying to get out of the wind ,a hammock will hang anywhere -get on the leeward side out of the wind and hang her up..

Anyway anybody have any expierence to share..ME

Take a look at jacksrus.com and speerhammocks.com

They have underquilts and peapods =goosedown 900+ rating to allow -0* temps hammock camping.
They are costly but very lightweight and compact.

As usual i'm doing a ton of reading/research to see which fits my needs the best.

I have a small titanium goat cylinder stove that will keep you mighty warm and dry plus you can cook over it.I'm looking for a tent b/c the titanium goat and kifaru tents are so expensive $500-600 for a two man ,even looking into making one.

Have used Hennesy in warm weather - but, a tent is much more convenient for multiple reasons. I would have to be reallllly wt/space comprimised to use the Hennesy in weather under 40 degrees.

Have used Hennesy in warm weather - but, a tent is much more convenient for multiple reasons. I would have to be reallllly wt/space comprimised to use the Hennesy in weather under 40 degrees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at hennessy's website -at their underquilt and read the reviews on it -it will easily get you down past 40*
40* is childsplay in a hammock w/ todays equipment.
There are so many pieces of equipment out there now -there is a combination for most any weather you will run into.
On the jacksrbetter.com thread i posted -you can get a tent that wraps around the ends of a hammock ,you can get goosedown underquilts -overquilts -goosedown quilts that you can also wear around camp.Very versatile set ups.
Imagine laying in a hammock with a 5" thick goosedown underquilt wrapped completely around you and the hammock ,w/a 5" loft quilt/bag over the top of you -inside of a sealed off tent to break the wind.
Sounds better than a blow up pad laying on the ground plus the hammock -underquilt,overquilt/coat is just as light and more compact.
I've camped quite a bit and sleeping on the ground has never been comfortable for me ,especially since i broke my back 4yrs ago.

I read and post over on 24hr campfire -backpack hunting area- and some of the guys -Eremicus comes to mind-he can sleep on a log w/a paper towel over him -lol.
Actually many just use a bivy w/a half pad and chemical handwarmers.
Me i ain't that robust -after a long day humping a backpack up and down mountains -i want as comfortable a bed as i can get.
Lightweight backpack camping sure ain't cheap...
Root around over at hammock forums dot com -a lot of good equipment and ideas.
Good luck -Mike

Take a look at jacksrus.com and speerhammocks.com

They have underquilts and peapods =goosedown 900+ rating to allow -0* temps hammock camping.
They are costly but very lightweight and compact.

As usual i'm doing a ton of reading/research to see which fits my needs the best.

I have a small titanium goat cylinder stove that will keep you mighty warm and dry plus you can cook over it.I'm looking for a tent b/c the titanium goat and kifaru tents are so expensive $500-600 for a two man ,even looking into making one.

Ol'' mike.

I have Kifaru shelter and one of their packs and yes thay are pricey. I also have the Ti-goat cyclinder stove, but mine is a longer 18" version. They are light and get HOT very fast.

There is a number of shelters that are floorless in which you can add a stove to. All you do is purchase a Vera port jack from TI-goat and sew it in your shelter and your in business.

For a smaller and light shelter with cyclinder stove, the MSR Twin Sisters. Add your Ti stove and this all up weighs around 2.5 lbs. That is pretty light for a heated shelter.

If you need a tipi design you can use a mega-mid or maybe a Sierra Designs Orgami 4, and of course there is the Mountain hardware Kiva, and then the floorless go-lites.

I've got an Sierra Orgami 4 and I'm in the process of sewing a versaport jack into it. I paid $119 for the Orgami tipi/tarp new last year. They can be found for under $200. Upgrading the center pole is a must, but other than that it's a fairly decent shelter that comes seam taped.
P1000208.jpg

That was a first attemp at putting it up.
P1000210.jpg

Here is an inside look and the skinny pole that needed replacing

It's not bad for Under $120 and it's just slightly smaller than my old Kifaru 4 man, but a bit less money.

I'll post a pic when I'm done sewing in the jack and put a stove and gear in there as well.

Another must is a cheap *** foam pad and an Ex Ped insulated inflated pad, and the Montbell inflatable pillow is a nice touch. Like sleeping at home.

I'll post a pic when I'm done sewing in the jack and put a stove and gear in there as well.

Another must is a cheap *** foam pad and an Ex Ped insulated inflated pad, and the Montbell inflatable pillow is a nice touch. Like sleeping at home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look forward to the picture..

I went over to backcountry.com and looked at the MSR twin sisters -looks good.
The ''snow skirt'' around the bottom is a feature i've been looking into ,a guy "woodswalker" well known for doing some good gear reviews has commented on the fact that if a tent doesn't seal close to the ground it won't make a nice winter heated tent.That snow skirt on the twin sisters tent is a good find -thanks- very reasonable too.

Got any pictures of the MSR in action w/ ti-goat stove?
I have a ti-goat cylinder stove also- w/ the 6ft. pipe ,do you have any problems w/it burning tiny holes in any of the fabric on you tents?
I might get a shorter titanium pipe -they weren't offered in titanium when i bought mine.

I did some reading somewhere? and ran across an article about making equipment out of "tyvek" ,I have a couple of ground sheets made fron it .
I dyed it by soaking it in the washer for several hours ,then just washed it a normal cycle and it made a soft quiet nice cheap ground cloth.
Anyway i read this on a site called ''white blaze.com'' the guy writing in the thread was from montana and had made tents etc. etc. and was very happy with them.Sounds pretty interesting if you have some spare time as i do.
Supposedly you can use the ''tyvek'' and a roll of the tyvek tape -lay out whatever you want tape it inside and out -then wash/dye and bam you got a cheap nice high performance tent.The taped seams are stronger than the tyvek material itself.

I do construction work and see leftover rolls thrown in the dumpster here and there -next time i'm gonna do a little dumpster diving- root it out of there and get some tape -and see what i can come up with.
Once it's dyed and washed it looks like a fabric not paper .
I'm going to try and build a hammock tent that i can lay in and tend to a fire from the hammock. A typical A-frame tent that goes between two trees just like the hammock -might be pretty cool.If i burn a hole in it i won't lay down in the floor and cry either....

That kifaru equipment is sure nice i just have to watch my pennies until the economy turns around.
Talk to you later -Mike

hey guys i dont understand how these heated tents work. arnt you going to end up carbon monixide poisining yourselves. i personally would not dream of heating my tent. then again i have a fully mountaineering tent that stands up to 100km winds and a sleeping bag that goes down to -20c. you just have to here in nz if you want to stay out in the alps in winter looking for tahr. and 300 i agree with the macpac statement. i used to go out with the founder of macpacs daughter so i got lots of great gear cheep. ahhh the connections in life are what matter.haha

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.