lightweight tripod

TheFishBox

What tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes? I have a 85 mm zeiss and want a light tripod for packing, I would like it to be under 3 pounds. Do any of you guys have recommendations?

I use a Vortex Summit SS tripod (ball head model). 1.8 pounds. I have used it with my Pentax 80mm ED body spotting scope, and now my Meostar S82 spotting scope. I have had no issues running it with either. The tripod is nice and short which I like for spotting while laying or sitting, but if you want to use it higher, it actually gets pretty high. Not as stable at standing height, but very stable from chair sitting height and below. You can take a leg off and run as a monopod if desired for bingo's, etc... Overall I have been extremely pleased with it. Good price too. I looked at some more expensive models side by side and still went this route. Been used hard for 3 seasons now. For spotting from truck or close to truck, I use a really heavy Tilt All tripod that is great for standing or sitting in a chair, but very very heavy and only used close to the truck. There are some great carbon super light tripods as well, but they come with a price tag. Good luck.

Check out the Gitzo mountain series ( maybe called something different now) carbon, well under 2lbs w/gitzo ball head, rock solid. Have used on backpack hunts & distance day outings since around 04-05 with 80mm Swaro. Also has a HD hook on bottom to hang weight on, a small net bag filled with rocks allows you to glass in heavy winds. Well worth the cost.

slik 624 S&S ARCHERY had a sale on them a few weeks back.. Had one this past season work like a charm with an outdoorman pan head

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.