Backpacking Tripod

I have an angled Swaro 65mm and use the Slick Sprint Pro II (30 oz with case and ballhead with the center extension pipe removed to save 3 oz). At first I did not like it........too flimsy. Then I discovered that if you set it up for use sitting with the legs widened to the middle setting, it is great! The legs are kicked out to about 45 degrees instead of 65 or 70 degrees on the middle setting making the base nearly twice as wide (and way more stable). It will set up with two of tripod legs straddling yours and one between your legs with only the first leg section extended. When you lean against a boulder to age a stone sheep, estimate a mountain mulie or big black bear, this is a solid set up. If you are on a critter, your buddy can come over and lean down for a look too with the angled scope.

This tripod has 3 leg extensions with flip locks, and probably could do with 2 as it is not stable fully extended, even without the center pipe extended.

It cost me $90 and works fine for my use. I even like the Slik ballhead that came with it. I intended to replace the head but will continue to use it as it served me fine last year.

Note that for glassing from near the truck or quad the old 10# Manfrotto tripod with a pistol grip head goes into service and works great standing up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.