Lighter weight, faster 308 win load

My short fat 308 shoots balls out with TAC and 110 and 130 TTSX's.

(I use the 110 VM and 125 NBT for practice on the cheap)

Lol! Thank you. There is a posse here that seem to have an extreme bias against Hammer Bullets. Unfortunately they have not used them. @FEENIX can chime in here and clarify how that works.
It seems like you have a personal problem. Its not enough that every thread ends up being a Hammer thread, but you have to make sure to make a personal attack. I was read to order from your webdsite a couple of months ago, made the shopping cart and everything and then saw your childish attacks. Just stick to promoting, and not attacking

My short fat 308 shoots balls out with TAC and 110 and 130 TTSX's.

(I use the 110 VM and 125 NBT for practice on the cheap)

Same. Best velocities out of my current .308 win is Ramshot Tac under 125's. Mine is 18" 1:12. 3100fps.... Thinks it's a .270!

Ya I think that's about where I'm at with my 20" barrel and the darn 110's are scooting along into the 3300's:)

My brother lives down in CA so he has the same issues. He decided on the Hornady GMX years ago, I can't remember if it was the 150 gr or 165 gr. In his 308 Win he decided just to use one load for everything since he has a ton of other rifles to choose for different applications. He was happy with the performance on a 250lb plus pig. I'm sure that would do for any CA deer.

When I was heavy into shooting service rifle with M14 types, I shot tons on 110 VMaxs in the rapid-fire events at 200 and 300. Fast and precise, and I shot them accurately due to reduced recoil. Shot lots of cleans, never shot 10X clean, but shot a handful of 8X cleans.

I imagine any mono in that weight class would be awesome in your bolt gun.

When I was heavy into shooting service rifle with M14 types, I shot tons on 110 VMaxs in the rapid-fire events at 200 and 300. Fast and precise, and I shot them accurately due to reduced recoil. Shot lots of cleans, never shot 10X clean, but shot a handful of 8X cleans.

I imagine any mono in that weight class would be awesome in your bolt gun.
I might want to give these a try in my FAL Match rifle.

Anyone have a good load worked up for a light faster load in a 308win? I currently had a good load with 165gr Barnes tsx with 45 gr of Varget going 2750fps. I just got a new 300 Norma mag which is a beast and for the time being I'm stuck with the 308 for a smaller CA deer gun. Looking to drop down to 150ish gr or less, lead free (thanks CA) to gain some speed.
Dynamic Research Technologies shouldn't be overlooked for an excellent lead free option too. They have 175gr projectiles in stock. They behave a lot like a lead core bullet, since they are constructed with a compressed powdered core (copper and tungsten) and a copper jacket. You can treat them as a similar weight lead core bullet.

Dynamic Research Technologies shouldn't be overlooked for an excellent lead free option too. They have 175gr projectiles in stock. They behave a lot like a lead core bullet, since they are constructed with a compressed powdered core (copper and tungsten) and a copper jacket. You can treat them as a similar weight lead core bullet.

Thanks Petey. I thought DRT meant Dead Right There.....

It seems like you have a personal problem. Its not enough that every thread ends up being a Hammer thread, but you have to make sure to make a personal attack. I was read to order from your webdsite a couple of months ago, made the shopping cart and everything and then saw your childish attacks. Just stick to promoting, and not attacking
I have to agree. I just don't understand it. Why?

there is a lot of options for light copper mono bullets available from many different manufactures. the Maker and Cavityback have peaked my interest for lighter weight low recoil loads with Apex and Badlands filling the bill for longer range.
just pick a company that is supportive of all shooters no matter their choice and don't try to cancel people with different opinions

Last edited:
there is a lot of options for light copper mono bullets available from many different manufactures. the Maker and Cavityback have peaked my interest for lighter weight low recoil loads with Apex and Badlands filling the bill for longer range.
just pick a company that is supportive of all shooters no matter their choice and down try to cancel people with different opinions
Agreed. Maker is one of the top performing all copper bullets I've seen right now regarding overall terminal performance.

Recent Posts