Lighter weight, faster 308 win load

Last edited:
I'm pushing 110gr vmax to 3050 with a very mild load in my 20" bergara. If I was going to hunt deer exclusively with it, I'd be looking at either hammer or barnes monos in the 110-130gr range. I've killed some coyotes with 110gr barnes ttsx from a 300blk, (so much slower), and I wouldn't hesitate one bit to hunt deer with that load.

If you're not needing to shoot a high quantity of bullets (eg hunting) do yourself a favor and at least look at Hammed Bullets page. They have a different bearing surface than a traditional bullet and the extra velocity you get out of them is crazy. Their website will tell you experienced handloaders only though because you can't just pull up a standard 120gr load data and use it. So definitely start low and work up. I believe they even say you need a faster than normal burning powder for the cartridge you're loading for.
We have several lines of bullets. The Hammer Hunter, Shock Hammer, and Power Hammer, bullets load very conventionally. Our drive band design will show a bit less pressure than conventional lead core bullets of similar weight. Using listed start loads from similar weight lead core bullets will be nice and mild to work up from. These three bullets designs will typically show 50-100 fps gain, in most rifles, compared to conventional bullets. The Absolute Hammers are a different design that significantly reduces the engraving pressure. The Absolutes will not line up well with conventional bullet data. They will need more or faster powder than would typically be used for similar weight bullets. If you are comfortable working up loads that are outside normal data, then the Absolute Hammer has significantly higher velocity potential in most cartridges.

This link to our home page gives a description of the different types of Hammer Bullets. Also a section on our load development process.

We have several lines of bullets. The Hammer Hunter, Shock Hammer, and Power Hammer, bullets load very conventionally. Our drive band design will show a bit less pressure than conventional lead core bullets of similar weight. Using listed start loads from similar weight lead core bullets will be nice and mild to work up from. These three bullets designs will typically show 50-100 fps gain, in most rifles, compared to conventional bullets. The Absolute Hammers are a different design that significantly reduces the engraving pressure. The Absolutes will not line up well with conventional bullet data. They will need more or faster powder than would typically be used for similar weight bullets. If you are comfortable working up loads that are outside normal data, then the Absolute Hammer has significantly higher velocity potential in most cartridges.

This link to our home page gives a description of the different types of Hammer Bullets. Also a section on our load development process.
Thanks for the breakdown. Awesome bullets and I've never seen anyone disappointed in them. They cost a bit more but for hunting bullets, performance is everything.

Thanks for the breakdown. Awesome bullets and I've never seen anyone disappointed in them. They cost a bit more but for hunting bullets, performance is everything.
Lol! Thank you. There is a posse here that seem to have an extreme bias against Hammer Bullets. Unfortunately they have not used them. @FEENIX can chime in here and clarify how that works.

To add a Hammer option - I tried some 124gr Hammer Hunters in the same .308 rifle as above and used the same charge, 46.5 Benchmark. I got 3,200 ft/sec without issue. I'm sure a slightly higher velocity could be attained.

I'll add that these particular Hammer bullets benefited by a firm crimp with an FCD. Many of my other cartridges shot quit well with no crimp. I seat all of my Hammers to maximize bearing surface in the case neck.

Lol! Thank you. There is a posse here that seem to have an extreme bias against Hammer Bullets. Unfortunately they have not used them. @FEENIX can chime in here and clarify how that works.
I came from Rokslide where they have a great following, so I haven't seen the negativity from them here yet lol but the way you talk, I'm sure some will chime in.

I've got a great load using AA2460 which is easily attainable and affordable, using the Barnes 130 TTSX. These numbers are out of a 18", 10 twist. 5shot group. Extremely accurate and little to no recoil with deadly results!!

550D0B44-61D5-4656-81CC-62CFF568D729.jpeg

I've got a great load using AA2460 which is easily attainable and affordable, using the Barnes 130 TTSX. These numbers are out of a 18", 10 twist. 5shot group. Extremely accurate and little to no recoil with deadly results!!

View attachment 376112
Awesome. How do those Barnes do on game? I have a killer 130gr 270wsm load dialed but haven't actually killed anything with it yet

Anyone have a good load worked up for a light faster load in a 308win? I currently had a good load with 165gr Barnes tsx with 45 gr of Varget going 2750fps. I just got a new 300 Norma mag which is a beast and for the time being I'm stuck with the 308 for a smaller CA deer gun. Looking to drop down to 150ish gr or less, lead free (thanks CA) to gain some speed.
.308 X Bolt 1-12 twist

Load Info. & Chrono Info

151 grain Absolute Hammer
51 grains Ramshot Tac
Temp 70 degrees
Altitude 1400 feet

3097 FPS
SD 4.5 FPS
ES 12 FPS

To add a Hammer option - I tried some 124gr Hammer Hunters in the same .308 rifle as above and used the same charge, 46.5 Benchmark. I got 3,200 ft/sec without issue. I'm sure a slightly higher velocity could be attained.

I'll add that these particular Hammer bullets benefited by a firm crimp with an FCD. Many of my other cartridges shot quit well with no crimp. I seat all of my Hammers to maximize bearing surface in the case neck.
What barrel length ?

Recent Posts