.308 best bullet weight

In a Berger, about the heaviest I can see working would be a 185 or 190 VLD.

My .30-06 AI has a 26" 1:12 barrel on it, and I use the 185 VLD's.

If you had an 11 or 11.25 twist, you could go with the 210 VLD's, like I shoot in my .308 Win.

My $.02 it depends. I've had great success with weights from 155 up to 185 all capable of MOA out to 1000 yards. Choosing a bullet in this weight range with an SG (stability factor) of 1.4 or greater and a low Form Factor would be a good place to start.

Every barrel digests bullets a little differently, and even if there are 2 rifles of the same make, model, and caliber sitting next to each other, the tolerances that the manufacturers use during production can create two rifles of the same design that don't like the same pills. The heaviest weight recommended for the 308 with a 1in12, from a chart I screenshot some time ago as a reference, suggests that 170 would be the upper limit weight-wise to be stabilized. I have found that these guidelines are just that... Guidelines, not the rule.

image.jpg

I would recommend trying some bullets in the range of 165-175 and see how they fly. If 175s go, try some 180+. I definitely wouldn't throw down money (unless you have a lot of it) on anything in the 190+ to 200+ range until you confirm something lighter stabilizes well. Heck.... If you can find a buddy who has some... Give em a shot. You just never know until you try.

The heavier bullets have a higher BC than the lighter pills, but if they don't stabilize and are cadywhompus in flight, a higher BC isn't going to mean very much.

Personally... I think the 168s are pretty sweet. My tikka likes them, 1in11 20", and my winchester m70 coyote lite likes them, 1in12 24". I'm using Berger VLD Hunting currently and very pleased. Heard good things about the 168 hybrids, but might be tough to find.

Whatever you choose, good luck and have lots of fun.

James

Every barrel digests bullets a little differently, and even if there are 2 rifles of the same make, model, and caliber sitting next to each other, the tolerances that the manufacturers use during production can create two rifles of the same design that don't like the same pills. The heaviest weight recommended for the 308 with a 1in12, from a chart I screenshot some time ago as a reference, suggests that 170 would be the upper limit weight-wise to be stabilized. I have found that these guidelines are just that... Guidelines, not the rule.

View attachment 37487

I would recommend trying some bullets in the range of 165-175 and see how they fly. If 175s go, try some 180+. I definitely wouldn't throw down money (unless you have a lot of it) on anything in the 190+ to 200+ range until you confirm something lighter stabilizes well. Heck.... If you can find a buddy who has some... Give em a shot. You just never know until you try.

The heavier bullets have a higher BC than the lighter pills, but if they don't stabilize and are cadywhompus in flight, a higher BC isn't going to mean very much.

Personally... I think the 168s are pretty sweet. My tikka likes them, 1in11 20", and my winchester m70 coyote lite likes them, 1in12 24". I'm using Berger VLD Hunting currently and very pleased. Heard good things about the 168 hybrids, but might be tough to find.

Whatever you choose, good luck and have lots of fun.

James

Very good info, thank you all for the replies. Best regards.