Light weight 338

My 416 Rigby weighs 9lbs, it is not bothersome to shoot. I load it right up too, 410g @ 2650fps.
I hate carrying heavy guns, all of my LR rigs are 12-18lbs, the 2 12lbs guns are my most used due to the weight. Then my 15lb 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° gets toted around quite a bit. Wish barrels were lighter to be honest, 32" barrels weigh a lot.

Cheers.
That's he whole reason why I'm going with the 24" barrel. Might even try to shave it down to 22"

a 22 or 23 " would be sic!!! ive shot alot of them in 6 pound range before optics without a brake and ..... are they a sit at the range and send rounds for hours ?? no. but i have no problem hunting and shooting them from prone or other .. get a good straight grip or other stock that transitions the recoil straight back .. I've found this too be key when shooting large magnums unbroke

Last edited:
I'm looking to build a light weight .338 elk hunting rifle. Thinking about going with a Proof 22" barrel on a R700 long action. My initial idea was to go with a 338 Sherman Max.

Looking for input on possible other cartridge choices. Just wanting something light for packing in the mountains, but still capable of shots at 600ish yards.Thank you!
You'll have that with the Sherman Max. Good choice there!

I have a 33N in a 7 1/2 pound rig with no brake, not a great range toy as it beats you pretty well with a very snappy fast recoil. But it sure beats carrying a 10 pound rifle up a 4-5000' climb. That setup tops out the recoil I am willing to live with in a hunting rifle, really no need for anything more in north america.

A 22" barreled 33 ss in a light action with the right components and you could get under 6 1/2 pounds all in pretty easy, be a nice rifle to pack.

I have a sub 8lb 338ss. 22" barrel. I built it just before the Max came out, and at the time it was the best combination of attributes that I could find. The Max or Mega would be even better.

My load is a 235grain Hammer Hunter at 2880fps. W/out a muzzle brake it is very similar to my 300wm sending 215's at 2950fps, Manageable, but I still prefer it with a muzzle brake for steeper mountain shots.

I'm interested in how you move forward with this idea. I have a kimber Montana in 300wm that I ordered a bartlein barrel for, intending to have it done up in .338 Sherman max. I was planning to fill the same niche. Now I'm debating the mega, I have about 8 months to decide while I wait for the barrel.

I'm interested in how you move forward with this idea. I have a kimber Montana in 300wm that I ordered a bartlein barrel for, intending to have it done up in .338 Sherman max. I was planning to fill the same niche. Now I'm debating the mega, I have about 8 months to decide while I wait for the barrel.
I'm leaning towards going with the mega. I still have time to decide since I'm going to be waiting a while for my barrel as well.

I'm trying to decide on a light weight stock. My main concern is that most don't have a good comb height for optics and I'm sure a majority are pretty skinny feeling and not very comfortable. So I'm trying to look for something a little more middle of the road I think. Decisions. Decisions.

I agree with Elk Hunter 338 !
I'm putting a 23 1/2" Carbon 338 Ultra together for my fall Elk/Deer hunt with my daughter .
It's going on a Remington action , timney trigger , Mcmillian Hunters Edge stock with a T-3 or t-4 Terminator brake , I have both to try .
Not sure on bullets yet . I have 250 and 300 gr bergers , some 285 Eldm's to try .
Powder is one of these , H-1000 , Re-33 , Nv570 or re-26.
I will test them all and see the best accuracy and go from there . Scope is undecided yet . I have several to choose from .

Rum Man

This 338 Edge came in at 10.6 pds. All in
30" proof , Mcmillian game hunters Edge
Burris Xtr ii 5x 25x 50 , 20 min.rail and heavy mk 4 rings . It was fine out to 1244 on the Elk .

Attachments

• IMG953726.jpg
    IMG953726.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 89
I had a 19.6 pound 338 Edge a 14.5 pound 338 Edge and built two almost Identical 338's with Carbon barrels 30" , one in a 338 Edge and one in the 338 ultra. Both run the 300 gr berger at 2884 & 2883 ft.per.sec with H-1000. As stated
Awesome job!
Tons of practice on all of the 338's sure helped me! I'm getting rusty here lately!

Rum Man

The "Light weight" .338 Mag's Recoil, is not, a "problem" in the Field, the "problem" is IN,..
Working up loads, on the Bench and IF, wanting to practice shooting, FIELD Positions, to get familiar with, your Rifle !
The 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08, 7 Saum, .280 AI and .270 WSM will ALL, Kill Elk, to 600++ using, the "right" Bullet !
WHY punish yourself ? We have owned .300 WSM's and .338's and SOLD them, in favor of, 7.5 Pound Tikka's "all up" !
A 140 grain, Classic Hunter, .270 WSM Bullet, Launched at 3,180 FPS is still going OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
A good many Elk are shot, in the Forests and Canyon Country ( at reasonable Ranges ) and,.. several Miles from, the Truck !
Unless, you are dedicated to, shooting from one Mountain, to another,.. you DON'T "need" a Big Caliber, Heavy, Rifle .
The lowly, 7mm-08's Ballistics, will surprise you with, the 168 Bergers launched at, 2,775 FPS !
OP wants,. Light weight, for packing/ HUNTING, in the Mountains "Capable" of Killing Elk,.. to 600 Yards !
The Cartridges, I listed, DO,.. THAT ! And without, the punishment, for some FUN,. practicing, on Steel !

Last edited:
You will not be able to see your impacts, so dont miss, or have a spotter with you. It will beat you up, no matter what brake. It will be much more finicky to shoot and hold tune day in day out. I build a decent amount of .338s and my customers typically expect top accuracy and aren't happy when they can only do it some of the time. Light .338s have not been too popular once they start working with them.
That said, your considering a smaller .338 and only talking medium ranges, if you stick to the lighter bullets it will be better. But I place a lot of value on seeing my hits. Not knowing what happened after a shot is not a good feeling.