Light rifle optics

I have two Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 scopes, one on a 35 Whelen and one on a 338 Win. Mag. I like them a lot and for a hunting scope in my opinion they are the most useful magnification. I all so have somVX-1's an 2's in 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 on every thing from .22 to 35 Whelen including 270 Win., an a VX3i 1.5-5x20 on a .400 Whelen. I have a Vortex diamondback 1.75-5x32 on a single shot 35 Whelen that is very good too. The VX3i 35-10x40 would be a good one for you as well. For me I like the 2.5-8x36 best for big game hunting. This is from my experience, more expensive scope I am shore are good but they are out of my price range. Hope this helps.

Big question there. Is it 3 times better?

I guess that's your call based on cash flow, much you appreciate good optics and what kind of hunting you do. I'm getting older and my eyes are not what they used to be so I really appreciate the clarity, brightness and illuminated recticle. If you can go to a store and compare a Z6 to a VX3 or VX6 side by side. See if they will let you look outside with them and preferably in low light.

This rifle is a full stocked version with a 20" barrel, and I'd like to keep it looking traditional, not tactical. It would be nice in my opinion to keep the scope length shorter than say the 14" of many scopes I've checked. Some 10 powers are pushing that, but with a 270, it would be nice to have that little extra magnification. 11 to 12 inch length would be my goal. The 8s are good compact scopes, and the 9s would fit as well.
The purpose of this post was for more input, and I like the options that I'm receiving.

I guess that's your call based on cash flow, much you appreciate good optics and what kind of hunting you do. I'm getting older and my eyes are not what they used to be so I really appreciate the clarity, brightness and illuminated recticle. If you can go to a store and compare a Z6 to a VX3 or VX6 side by side. See if they will let you look outside with them and preferably in low light.
I agree with the appreciation of good optics. But testing them out in the woods and away from any stray light is the only way you'll see a true difference.
There's an old saying that comparing scopes in a store is like test driving a ferrari in a parking lot.

I would put my money on the VX6 due to side by side comparison.

Since I have so much time on my hands right now...I've been looking to get a scope for a new to me BSA CF-2 Stutzen In 270 Win. Now this beauty comes in at 7 to 8 lbs so I'd like to top it with a very light scope. These are what I've been eyeing so far.
SWFA 2-10x32 Ultra light. Eye relief is a concern.
Leupold 2-8x36. Have one and like it. It's on a 300 yd max rifle
Maven 2-10x38 Would like to try this scope, but not many reviewed
Vortex 1.5-8 Razor HD LH Really like the size and weight of this optic, and for some reason the reticle
Vortex 2-10x40 HD LH Slightly larger than previous optic but gives higher max magnification
Not a fan of Vortex. These last 2 optics have good reviews and seem to be well liked by hunters. One other note, the Vortex scopes listed have been discontinued making them slightly harder to find. I'd like to stay in the $400 to $600 price range. Any informative contributions would be appreciated.
have you looked at the leupold vx5 hd 2-10x42 should work great for you

I think a VX3 3.5-10x40 would give you more mounting length and be a better fit than the VX3 2.5-8x36 on a long action 270
Both are good options. I have the VX3i 2.5-8x36 one a MRC AVR 35 Whelen and on a Ruger 77 338 Win. Mag., no problem with mounting length.

Doing more research since getting helpful suggestions. The Leupold VX 5 & 6s with 30 mm tubes are heavier than the 1" counterparts. There are a few light 30mm tubes out there. Vanguard fields a few. Their 2-8x32 is less than a pound. Unsure on glass quality.
The Vortex models listed are light as well, but there are a few mentions of not holding zero. 270 Win isn't a big boomer by any means, so maybe no issue. Then there is the Z3 that keeps popping up...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.