What is "NEW" in optics for low light hunting rifles?

shooter10mm

Hey Guys,
I'm new here been chasing the Sporting Clays game the last ten years or so and hadn't cared about my rifles much. When I stopped, I had been competing here at Ft. Benning in Tactical Matches(100, 200 & 300 and 200, 400 & 600) and shooting well.
So I'm not looking for lessons, what I'm looking for is what has advanced in low light optics?
I have Swarovski and Schmidt optics on 3 different rifles, I'm looking for High power low light performers that offer precision of late?
All my scopes are designed for killing animals(whitetail) with 12X being the strongest.
I'm looking for experience on Vortex, etc... type optics that are new, that have great glass and higher power(18x to 25x) to outfit several rifles and not end up with 12grand in 4 scopes. Are they great performers? Optically perfect? Caught any of the other former leaders in technology with the current value they have?
If that makes enough sense please chime in I would appreciate any time saving you could possibly offer if you've already been there!

Thanks

Is that Leupold tube 30mm vs the 1" tube Swarovski series??
Never seen a 30mm tube Leupold compare to a 30mm Swarovski or even a Zeiss?

Recently I purchased a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. It is definitely a step up from my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 in low light performance.

Really? I've never looked through a VX-6. I figured they were a good scope, but I'm a little surprised to hear that they are definitely a step up from Swarovski in low light performance.

Hey Guys,
I'm new here been chasing the Sporting Clays game the last ten years or so and hadn't cared about my rifles much. When I stopped, I had been competing here at Ft. Benning in Tactical Matches(100, 200 & 300 and 200, 400 & 600) and shooting well.
So I'm not looking for lessons, what I'm looking for is what has advanced in low light optics?
I have Swarovski and Schmidt optics on 3 different rifles, I'm looking for High power low light performers that offer precision of late?
All my scopes are designed for killing animals(whitetail) with 12X being the strongest.
I'm looking for experience on Vortex, etc... type optics that are new, that have great glass and higher power(18x to 25x) to outfit several rifles and not end up with 12grand in 4 scopes. Are they great performers? Optically perfect? Caught any of the other former leaders in technology with the current value they have?
If that makes enough sense please chime in I would appreciate any time saving you could possibly offer if you've already been there!

Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Since you're looking at Vortex scopes you might consider Burris Veracity and XTR II series, it'll definitely give a ran for your money. I have the 4-20x50 Veracity and I am very pleased with it thus far.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

If you are seriously thinking about the Vortex line.....I would start at the HS, HS-T or PST lines. I purchased a 6-24X FFP PST very recently and found a Demo unit at a really strong price. Depending on how far you can stretch your budget...and if you can still find them....dealers had Razor HD Gen I's for a heavily discounted price of @ $1350. The Gen I is still an excellent scope and would serve a guy for a lifetime.

I'd next recommend you look at the NightForce HSV line. This is an excellent hunting scope....great glass, very rugged and backed by a top rate company.

Lastly, I would recommend looking at the Sightron SIII line. I have a 6-24X, a 8-32X and I recently sold a 10-50X. All three have very clear glass, excellent turrets that are accurate and repeatable.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.