New optics for rifles!

matt_3479

I currently own a Remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag topped with a Tasco 4-40x. Now i have wanted to replace this scope for a while now. I just currently bought a Browning A-bolt 300. wsm and its topped with a Bushnell 3-9x 40. This scope i borrowed off a buddy till i could afford my own. I know that sounds bad but he didn't need it. I was thinking of replacing the 7mm scope first but now i decided on replacing the 300. wsm first due to the scope not being mine and that rifle will be used more often for hunting. This rifle would be used on Moose, Caribou, Elk and black bear. Shots could be from 50 yards to 500 yards. I was thinking of topping it with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with/without CDS. Then i though the extra power could never hurt and why not go with a 4.5-14x40. What do you think? any suggestions

I also took a quick look at Zeiss but didn't know if it was worth the extra dough or not?

Last edited:
Either one will definitely do the job. However, I'd personally go with the 4.5-14x40. I have the B&C reticle on my SAKO in .300WM and am very pleased with it.

Good luck!

Ed

+1 w/Feenix, I'd opt for the 14x. If your considering a Zeiss you may also want to consider an NF NSX 3.5-15.

The VX3 4.5-14 is a nice scope. I have one myself. Had the Leupold custom shop add M1 turrets and TMR reticle. It is bada$$!

If you hunt timber you should take a close look at the field of view figures on any
scope. For big game I like having nothing larger than a 4 power and preferably a 3x.
Jumping an elk at 35 yards on 4.5 is going to be a tough target to get on fast.

Go with the one you like best. I seem to like the 3-10 but that's just me. I hunt the timber for elk and have no problem getting on them with my fixed 6x Leupy.

I have a 300wsm and a VXIII 4.5-14x40AO, B&C retical. I know lots of guys prefer to dial, and I do on other rifles, but the B&C retical works well with my 300wsm and 165gr TSX/67gr IMR4831. The hash marks are pretty much dead on out to 400 yards, and I hit roughly 2" high at 450yards, and 3"high at 500 when using the respective hash marks.

Check around a bit on the net, you should be able to find one for a pretty good price.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.