Scope for light weight rifle

I'm building a light weight 5 1/2 pound rifle and wondering what the best scope is that weighs no more than a pound. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend more money to go light only to put a heavy scope on it. I'm looking at a Leupold
VX3i 4-14 30mm tube with a windplex but if there is something better out there that isn't over a pound I'm interested. I don't shoot over 800 yards.
IF 3-4 ounces heavier isn't gonna break the deal, the VX5HD 3-15x44 model Leupold is the way to go. I own 3 with different reticles. These are without a doubt one of Leupolds best glass scopes. It's very light at 19 oz on my scale. Very close to the VX3 in magnification and only less than 4 ounces heavier. I know weight means alot but I think this optic is worth the extra few ounces.

Ok ill
Try this. So bob I have down the same thing you are talking about many time. First I have several scopes for light weight.
Swaro z5 3-18? Can't remember exactly!
Bushnell elite 6500 2-16
March 2.5-25
Swfa ultra light
I've had many Leupold scopes and they are fine scopes just not my cup of tea.
I usually run the nightforce atacr or similar on my rigs so I like good glass.
Out of those option the two that top my ultra light rigs are the bushnell elite 2-16 on my 6.5 creed. Turrets have been great for dialing and returning to zero every time. Low light is great. Weight is outstanding. Glass is fine and very useable just not up to par with the liecas I run on my short to mid range ar especially while looking into the sun.
My other ultralight is a 30 Sherman topped with the March. Amazing and worth the slightly extra weight over the swaro.

I just got a Meopta meopro 4.5-14x44 with the MC Whorter
reticle it's a side parallax adjust that weighs 18 oz. It is only
a 1" tube but the glass is great. They make some of Zeiss
scopes.

Up until today I would say the same thing. My old gold ring with the parallax adjustment on the objective VX3 4.5-14 crapped out on my today. Rifle and loads that normally shoot .5 or better were all over the place. The only explanation is that it's not holding zero anymore. The mounts are all torqued to spec and it feels solid. It's seen some abuse, I wonder if they will fix it.
I believe tbey will

IMO a side parallax focus is mandatory for a LR rifle - sure, you can use a spotter to gauge the wind, but focusing using a side parallax adjustment beats a spotter in terms of last minute doping.

Leupold generally have a good warranty. Or generally a good reputation for warranty and service.
Even the best can fail. It never intended to fail.

I went thru the same dilemma, I wanted to dial elevation, best I have found is the 2.5-10 Nightforce compact. Is 20 oz, not the lightest option, but I will sacrifice the 4oz for the confidence it brings. Interested in what others think on this, I am always looking for light weight options.

I agree with you for a variable. I also like the S&B PMII 10x42 for a lightweight fixed power that is basically bulletproof. 13 mils of elevation on the turret. P3 mildot reticle very easy to hunt with.

I'm in the same dilemma as you OP... but I can't take the chance of losing zero or having dialing issues on a hunt of a lifetime... so personally I now own 3 NF SHV's. I really like the discontinued C563 model, the 3-10, moar, non-illum, with parallax adjustment. I have a couple of those and the larger 4-14x56. The big one is NOT light, around 28 oz. I will probably try to find another 3-10 for my upcoming rifle build.

I've also been intrigued by huskemaw...it seems their dialing is great, but i'm not sure about their ruggedness...at least when compared to NF.

I was on a sheep hunt in August, where I got the caribou in my avatar, lugging around my 9.5 lb 7mag with the big NF. Lugging it sucked, but I flew to AK with that rifle, took a bush flight, zero was confirmed perfect. Hiked around for 9 days, shot caribou, bush flight home, 2 airline flights, drove from CO to TN on a deer hunt. Took the rifle out of the case, dialed to 550y, first round impact on the steel we were shooting at. That's the reliability that I will carry a few extra ounces for.

After carrying my heavy rifle with a PST Gen 2 5x25 around this fall, I am going for something a bit lighter. I was intrigued by the Vortex LHT but after
a disappointing situation with another Vortex scope and their refusal to fix it, Vortex products are no longer on my menu. In addition when I compare Vortex glass to other scopes in the same class, their glass and my eyes do not gel. Their glass, to my eyes, is not crisp and clear like that of Leupold, Zeiss or Burris. So my choice is a Leupold VX5HD.