Optics for a mountain rifle...?

...Monarch 7 4-16x50 SF BDC XR Turret

Looks like a pretty awesome new offering with 30mm tube and excellent Nikon glass.[/url]

Nikon usually updates a lens coating and renames the entire line. This time they actually changed the mechanical design a bit.

As far as I can see from Nikon's cumbersome website, Monarch 7 offers the same 4-16 erector tube and BDC reticle as before. Custom turrets were available before as well. The main improvements seem to be the 30 mm tube (adjustment range not listed) and a zoom ring that doesn't slip through your fingers (long overdue). The eye relief took a 10% hit though. I don't see the awesomeness in this scope. It's taken Nikon a long time to make such simple improvements - guess that's sort of awesome.

Nikon usually updates a lens coating and renames the entire line. This time they actually changed the mechanical design a bit.

As far as I can see from Nikon's cumbersome website, Monarch 7 offers the same 4-16 erector tube and BDC reticle as before. Custom turrets were available before as well. The main improvements seem to be the 30 mm tube (adjustment range not listed) and a zoom ring that doesn't slip through your fingers (long overdue). The eye relief took a 10% hit though. I don't see the awesomeness in this scope. It's taken Nikon a long time to make such simple improvements - guess that's sort of awesome.

The reason I think it's awesome is because it's basically the same as the Vortex Viper HSLR I'm interested in, except it comes with the higher quality glass Nikon is known for. I know the turrets have been available with the Monarch 3 4-16x50 I'm curious about as well, but wasn't terribly fond of the 1'' tube rather than 30mm. The other reason I like this new Monarch 7 is because it offers the BDC reticle, which I've come to really appreciate.

I went through this same process two years ago, deciding what scope to put on a custom Allen Precision mtn. rifle. In the end I spent more than I intended to and went with the NF 2.5-10x32. It was a good choice. I use this rifle a few days each fall to hunt elk, the rest of the time it is a walking varmint rifle for marmots above timberline. I do a lot of turret twisting and the turrets are dead-nuts accurate. Glass has been good enough for shots around 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts