Light bullets in a deep throat

I have several long throated 243's and 6mm and AI's, and they all shoot varmint weight/length bullets well. You will want to experiment and find the better/best jump.

I'd probably do the seating test first. Generally shows an accuracy point that ought to remain regardless of speed. Doing this after a charge workup has the potential to change pressure, and thus velocity enough to affect your ocw. Others may argue, just my .02.

This is Apple's vs. Oranges and I probably should not even mention it but it does sort of get back to the original question.
I'm not especially into pistols but I have seen revolvers that have a huge free space between the tip of the bullet and the beginning of the rifling and they still shoot quite accurately at short distances.

I use 65 vmax in a custom long throat 243wssm. It jumps a country mile and goes 4200fps. Shoots around 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Ground hogs die fast and have eyes hanging out of their face if I shoot them in the body. If you shoot them in the face their is nothing above the shoulders normally. I use my 22-250imp much more and here is one I shot with it at 450 yards. 55 mos btip@3900
Shep

Attachments

• WP_20140622_001.jpg
    WP_20140622_001.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
My 6ppc. Shoots the 70 blitz king into zeros. It likes them every bit as well as barts. I use them in our 1,2 and 300 yard ground hog matches. Good bc for a little bullet compared to most short range match bullets. I tried those 65 vmax because a customer gave them to me. They don't shoot in my 6ppc good at all.
Dont be afraid of bullet jump. Once you establish how much it likes it will hammer. Just think weatherby and it's success with freebore and speed.
Shep

I have a custom built 7-08 throated for 162's. I tried 140 Berger vld loads that I loaded for my father's rifle with an insane long jump and they shoot in the .1"-.2's.

I am using speer 125 TNTs over 52gr 748 in a ruger american 308. I am seating into the case neck about 1/16" and I'm still a long way from the lands. I get great accuracy. Took a deer with that load this year and the bullet performed well.

I shot a bunch of 58 grain vmax's from a .243. I seated the bullets out as far as I thought I could but never reached the lands. At 3800+ they were almost half moa and devastating on marmots. Rifle was a Kimber.

My theory on this is that those light bullets in faster than needed twist barrels are almost ready to pop in the air. The energy in the gravitational out ward force of the jacket is massive because of the spin rate. They are travelling really fast. And they just totally up and explode when hitting a critter. These types of loads seldom exit for me on ground hogs. Yet with a 55 grain b-tip at 3900 in my 22-250ai does on body hits some times. Its why I personally think but can't prove why the 6.5. 8 twist rifles kill deer with 123 amaxs and
120 bt nosler and all the 130 class bullets so dang fast. I mean spectacularly fast. And the 140 and 150 class bullets kill like a 270 or 06. I hear ya guys now thinking section density is really high on heavy 6.5 bullets and that's part of it to. That sectional density of 250 to 265 range in all the bullets seem to kill super fast. But these are really the mid range bullets like 30 cal 150 or 130 270cal the mighty 140 in a 7mag. Seems once we step up to the long range high section density bullets that explosively goes away. What you guys think?
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts