Light bullets in a deep throat

GetReel

I've got a custom 6Creed that is throated deep for the heavy bullets. (1-8 twist).
If I try and load up some light ballistic tips for coyotes, will I have any problems with a long "jump"?

If I try and load up some light ballistic tips for coyotes, will I have any problems with a long "jump"?

This could be a multi-part answer.

It might depend on how light the bullets are you want to shoot.

It will depend somewhat on the velocity of your load work up.

It might depend on how well the Ballistic Tip jackets hold up to the 1:8" twist rate.

It does depend on how straight your chamber and throat is in relationship to the bore line.

Enjoy the process as every barrel has the potential of being different and liking things a certain way.

Some rifles shoot better with a long jump. Others have several accuracy nodes.
I have a custom rifle in .308Win. It shot good but not "great". While working with some Accubond bullets, I experimented with loading them to the magazine length. A quick check revealed that they were .165" off the rifling. Interestingly enough, loading that far off the rifling produced the smallest groups.

FWIW - my buddy loads bullets a full .250" off the rifling in his WBY Mark V rifle. It is a surprisingly accurate load.

I want to try a light V-Max type +/- 60-70gr pills for predator hunting.

The only way to get the right answer is to buy some of those bullets, load 'em up and go shoot. Let the rifle determine what works and what doesn't. There are simply too many variables which will affect the outcome to try and make a good, accurate guess.

I guess my question was really more based on, Will I damage the throat or beginning of the rifling by having an enormous "jump"

No. We often use some jump based on the way bullet responds to the load. But even a lot of jump will not damage the throat.

A reamer designed with a bore rider throat is basically the same thing and I don't get any damage from those chambers.

To answer your question they may be accurate, they may stay together and they will not hurt the lands any more than the correct bulletscthe gun was designed for.
Have shot the old 243 for many years. Time and experience has revieled that an 8 twist will shoot a 55 nosler well enough but a 10 will do it faster and easier to dial.......
Why waist rounds in a custom rig trying to do something it was not designed to do?

You won't have a problem. I shoot 55 gr. 243 Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 6 CM and 243 Winchester. Speeds are around 4000 fps and they are accurate and hold up well. Amazingly I don't usually get an exit hole on a coyote, unless I hit a large bone

I think I'll try some 55gr v-max or varmingeddons and see how they do. If I find load around 3700fps ok. Will still be more fur friendly than the 105's (I'd think) right?

I had the gun built to shoot. Targets, predators or deer. If I burn up a barrel, I'll get another one.
Id hate to look back and think.... I wish I shot that gun more....
Then why ask? ps last I checked they dont make a 55 6mm V max but Nosler makes a dandy. The 55s @ 4100fps out of the 243 have you either looking for a hole or looking at two halves.
I guess not everyone owns 4 243s ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.