Leveling your scope quick and easy

Mounting a scope properly appears to be a science unto itself. All the levels, proper torquing, etc., etc. I now know that getting someone who knows what the hell they`re doing to do it is the right way to go, at least for me. I don`t even want to think about where the thing would be pointed if I tried that!

Scope level

IMG_2597.png

Scope level

IMG_2599.png

The one that I showed comes with a large and small wedge, but not sure will be enough room to use either one.

The method @lancetklance mentioned with the playing cards is a great idea, also you can use feeler guages.

I made me a plumb line at the farm, 1" diameter rope and 6" PVC pipe that I found at a roadside construction site that were tossed in a roll off demolition dumpster. The construction manager gave me permission and when I told him what I was doing, he gave me the caps. I filled the pipe with concrete. I found enough to make several water pipes for drainage under the road

The method @lancetklance mentioned with the playing cards is a great idea, also you can use feeler guages.

I made me a plumb line at the farm, 1" diameter rope and 6" PVC pipe that I found at a roadside construction site that were tossed in a roll off demolition dumpster. The construction manager gave me permission and when I told him what I was doing, he gave me the caps. I filled the pipe with concrete. I found enough to make several water pipes for drainage under the road
A giant plumb bob!👍

snipped.....
Very true (pardon the pun). One would not expect this from a custom precision build but take something like a Savage 110 for example, where the taps are off (ever so slightly) on that round top receiver. Then, your rail and or rings are off too. No big deal if it's equal front to back but it can be a pain.
Bingo, Savage action. I made mill tooling that references the bolt raceway to go up to 8-40 screws so I know that the holes are now centered and true, but that doesn't mean that the action's OD is actually round or even concentric to the bolt. I debated making a mandrel to hold it by the bolt bore and turning the OD to be concentric and round, but after measuring it I realized that doing that was going to remove too much material.

I see threads frequently asking why should they spend the money on a custom action when they have this Rem700/Savage/etc. action already. This is one of the hidden reasons why a guy who just wants an accurate rifle rather than a Project should start with a custom rather than a mass market production action. Leave the commercial actions to those of us who like to fiddle with them....

There are tools that work off the lug raceways inside the action
I used one such tool for years while working behind the counter. I can not find one and my first effort to make one was a total fail. Picture a strip of Plexiglas bent across the width into an 'L'. Centered in the vertical section was a reference line. Pull the bolt, insert the tool, press down on the tool thru the ejection port with a finger, look thru it and the scope, twist the scope to align it's vertical crosshair with the tool's reference line. Worked like magic and didn't care if you were upside down and twisted sideways while doing it.

I'm liking this giant plumb-bob tool. I'll just need to build it so that our granddaughter can use it as a swing. :)

Last edited:
Similar to the device shown in the post by LRSNM, I am building the scope leveling device shown in the pictures (please excuse the Remington 742 Woodmaster in the pictures, it is used for demonstration purposes only 🤣). I just have to add a level on top. This device finds the center line of the scope and the center line of the barrel. When this center line is exactly vertical, the scope vertical cross-hair should also be exactly vertical. Once the device is attached and leveled, the scope cross hair can be easily aligned to a plumb line or known vertical object such as a door or window frame. The plumb line would be the most accurate.
IMG_3370.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 43