Leupold vx6 thoughts?

I run a 3-18x50mm with the windplex firedot on my Tikka 300WM. It's an excellent scope and offers great low light clarity. I went with the firedot specifically for that low light last shot. I missed a couple chances last year due to the fine black reticle on my old Swaro Z5 5-25. I think though, if you went with the Z5 3-18 I think you'd be in pretty good shape. The Z5 has better glass than the last VX-6 in my opinion, but no lighted reticle.

I run a 3-18x50mm with the windplex firedot on my Tikka 300WM. It's an excellent scope and offers great low light clarity. I went with the firedot specifically for that low light last shot. I missed a couple chances last year due to the fine black reticle on my old Swaro Z5 5-25. I think though, if you went with the Z5 3-18 I think you'd be in pretty good shape. The Z5 has better glass than the last VX-6 in my opinion, but no lighted reticle.

This experience is the opposite of mine. I had a VX-6 4-24X52 (24 oz), Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 (22 oz), and a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (18 oz). The VX-6 displays a slightly more natural color than the other two. I didn't notice it until I purchased it and compared them. While comparing them the VX-6 beat the Swarovski by about 1/2X on the same military optics chart 127 yards away. That is if I could see something with the z5 on 10X I could see the same thing with the VX-6 on 9 1/2X. They all went down at the same time in low light test on deer antlers 131 yards away.

Does anyone have thoughts on the leupold vx6 line? I am looking at putting teh 3x18x44 vx6 on my sako finnlight 300 wsm. Considering the lighted duplex reticle

Pros: lightest scope in 30 mm tube at that magnification, lifetime warranty.

Cons: glass clarity? Repeatability? Low light performance?

I looked at many other scopes including SB, Zeiss,Swarovski,NF, and on and on. But they are either well over 20 oz, more magnification than I need, or not offered in 30 mm tube.

This is a mountain gun used in heavy timber. That being said most shots are within 100 yards, but the opportunity exists for 500 yard shots quite often.

Weight is a big/huge concern. I cover 6-8 miles or more each day.

Cost is not really my concern. Weight, clarity of glass and light transmission are. Conditions are often rainy and the I work though dark timber stands routinely going from shadows, to darkness, to bright sun. Welcome to north Idaho!:)

I own several Zeiss hd scopes in 1 inch tube, but want a scope in 30mm to get better light transmission

I have always steered away from Leopold, not sure why. Think its because like a lot of scope manufacturers, they make an entry level scope and a high end scope. And, it seems like many people I know buy the entry level and eventually switch out to something better.

So, before I launch on a sizable investment, I want your advice.

Thanks in advance.
I have VX6's in 3-18x50 and 4-24x50 along with more than a dozen other scopes. The glass is excellent and I've had zero problems with repeatability or holding zero.

If I had the money to do so I'd probably replace all of my other scopes with the VX6's.

Hey Jimsbriar. I'm also a north Idaho black timber and brush beater. I haven't read all of the posts but I am wondering if cost isn't a problem go with a Swarovski Z6 2-12 or 3-18. There is a big difference between the Z5 and Z6s. I am all about American made and have shot Leupold s. Most of my life but nothing they build compares to a Z6. How many rounds of ammo do the small weight differences you describe equate to? A high end scope is not the place to skimp on weight. You want a strong rugged tube and tracking mechanism especially with wicked recoiling rifles. I've shot a Z6 3-18 with BR recticle on top a Borden Alpine Mag in 300wsm for 15 years and can't imagine a better mountain rifle up for up here. Just over 7lbs.

I bought a VX6HD for a custom light weight 284 Winchester. Zero seemed to wander and now and then a shot was so out of the group I sent the scope back. They said it was fine and sent it back. I still had problems and sent it in again and again leupold said it was okay. I put it on a 22-250 that reliably shot in the 3's, but not with the leupold. Finally had it on the '250 shooting prairie dogs around the 500 yard mark. Missed one by inches, fired again and hit 3' left. Fired one more in disbelief and killed the dog. No wind event, no change in rest or position. I sent it in again and relayed the story again it came back as good. I replaced it with another Nightforce and the problem went away. I've had 5 leupolds and only one had good turrets.