Leupold vx hd5 vs vortex pts 2

Certainly didn't mean it that way. I have done work with/for Leupold and I asked those questions specifically to them.
Bud you did nothing wrong by me. I'm genuinely grateful for the information. Yes no BS I will trust but verify. Lol. With me I will always listen to articulate and polite information and perspectives.

Yep I covered that in a post above. To each their own and if a sticker advertising or claim satisfies you as MADE IN USA is up to you. Here is a quick link.

If you dig deeper into this they can import a part touch it with a red curly one in the USA, and now claim it's a USA sourced part to apply to their 50-60-% "LEGAL to claim MADE IN USA".

I am very aware of how things work, I spent over 20 years working with circuit board and chip manufactures. I witnessed companies bring boards from over seas, finish a few operations and stamp made in USA. I know how it works! I definitely also know that being a sellout and trying to justify my purchasing imported items that are marked "Made in slave labor country" are not how I do things! You can take your imported items and. I purchase American made clothing, automobiles, parts etc. I do my part and yours so don't fret! At my age it really does not matter, but I will not sellout nor make excuses because I cannot find a USA made TV. I know and people who know me know I buy USA MADE, no excuses! If you know of a Made in USA scope that is made of more USA that Leupold I am all ears?

Leupold only imports their low end glass from China. Their Gold Ring optics come from Japan and Europe.

Also all hard parts in gold ring optics are machined and assembled in Oregon.
I'm not really sure any of their glass is coming from China. From what I understand now their low end scope glass is from Korea and The Philippines but all of the gold ring and military/glass is either coming from Schott in Germany or from Japan.

Keep in mind there are only a handful of factories that produce scope glass and the most important part of the equation is the actual spec's of how it is ground and the proprietary coatings that are then used along with how carefully the mechanical parts are machined.

If the tube and mechanicals are coming from China or the Philippines I'm not interested no matter who's name is on it.

I'm not really sure any of their glass is coming from China. From what I understand now their low end scope glass is from Korea and The Philippines but all of the gold ring and military/glass is either coming from Schott in Germany or from Japan.

Keep in mind there are only a handful of factories that produce scope glass and the most important part of the equation is the actual spec's of how it is ground and the proprietary coatings that are then used along with how carefully the mechanical parts are machined.

If the tube and mechanicals are coming from China or the Philippines I'm not interested no matter who's name is on it.
When I did some work for them I was told the low end red field stuff including glass came from China.

Of the two, I really believe the Leupold is the better of the two. However, depending on what type of reticle you want, the Leupy can get quite expensive. The Leupy wind plex is the bare minimum for me, where VTX offers a much better reticle (for me) at a lower price point.

Leupold is going to win with overall glass quality & weight savings. Albeit, at a higher overall cost to the end user. That point is where things get incredibly subjective. Sometimes, the next tier of scope is just too far out of reach (or you are incredibly impatient like I am). A rifle sitting in the safe without optics is pretty useless....

t

Just picked up a PST Gen II for $600 at midway last month, it was the old reticle style but its still a great piece of glass.

So I found out that the same vortex pts 2 that I have now is on sale at midway for 700. But I've been interested in the leupod vx HD 5 in 3x18 for placing on top of a 300rum 700. Mostly for target an hunting. Thought on which one
Either the VX5 HD 3-15 or VX6 HD 3-18 will be great hunting scopes. I like the locking turrets/tracking, lens coatings, lens clarity, light weight, and the various reticles. I have personally never experienced a Leupold scope tracking issue, but I know it happens as with any product. My families track record with them has been solid. We have used the old V3 3-9s, V3 6.5-20, VX6s, VX-3i 4.5-14s, VX5 HD 3-15s and VX6 HD 4-24. I have travelled all over the US and to Africa with my Leupold scopes, I recently used my 4 year old VX6 HD 4-24x52 in Africa. My wife and I shot the same rifle and it tracked and worked great on multiple antelope from about 80 yards out to 500 yards. I dropped in a pict of my wife on the sticks with the VX6 HD 4-24 for fun. The Leupold VX5/6 series are assembled and tested in the US (not sure why that matters), and yes some parts are sourced from other countries. We don't seem to want to make affordable raw lens material here in the US. I wonder if its due to labor intensity or pollution rules. Maybe both.

Attachments

• Shot_Lechwe_Shot_00061_Moment.jpg
    Shot_Lechwe_Shot_00061_Moment.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 41
When I did some work for them I was told the low end red field stuff including glass came from China.
That would not surprise me, I was only thinking of the Leupold Branded scopes.

Since China has much of the newst and high tech manufacturing capability in the world due to their rapid modernization over the last 15 years they can actually produce quality manufactured goods to very high tolerances.

What they can't do however is match the more established manufacturers and their proprietary coatings which then provide the filtering and contrast that makes for the best scopes.

Personally I have a moral issue buying anything produced in China so I do my best to avoid Chinese products of any kind where I can but it gets harder every year as they eat up more of the world's manufacturing capability.

So I found out that the same vortex pts 2 that I have now is on sale at midway for 700. But I've been interested in the leupod vx HD 5 in 3x18 for placing on top of a 300rum 700. Mostly for target an hunting. Thought on which one
In my experience they are both good scopes, you can't go wrong with either one. If you looking to save a buck Vortex wins that department.
I will say this I like vortex have 5 scopes varying from 2-HS LRS, 1 PST GEN 1, 2 PST GEN2. Price wise tuff to beat, great warranty, and easy company to deal with. They will do everything you need a scope to do. Now this is my negative about them, is the glass better than leupold, probably not. With the exception of the pst Gen 2s the shimmed zero stops are a joke. Tracking has been honestly pretty good, but you will at some point use the VIP warranty. I don't think there lens coating is as good as other manufacturers. I do not believe they can take the abuse, I'm not referring to recoil I'm talking dropped, falling on, ext. But I did watch my hunting partner absolutely body slam his PST GEN 2 into the ground after falling down the mountain. To our surprise it held zero, so maybe I don't give them enough credit.
Leupold, well to me they are about as tuff of a scope as you can own. I haven't encountered tracking issues that others have stated. Maybe just lucky.. I have 2 Vx3, VX5Hd, and also a Mark 5 HD. I do think the glass is better, the zero stop is way more reliable, and the warranty is the same. To me if your not worried about a couple hundred bucks I'd take the leupold over Vortex.
Vortex wins the retail price war, but Leupold is just more reliable, durable, and has better glass.
Your call. I shoot them both and have faith in both. Just comes down to the money.