Leupold vx hd5 vs vortex pts 2

isu600rr

So I found out that the same vortex pts 2 that I have now is on sale at midway for 700. But I've been interested in the leupod vx HD 5 in 3x18 for placing on top of a 300rum 700. Mostly for target an hunting. Thought on which one

Not a chime in to pick one over the other, but providing you an option to save a couple more bucks.

If you go with the Vortex, EuroOptics has at least one PST2 model for $669 last I was on there.

Last edited:
As mentioned look at Euro Optics for the PSTs. They have a "closeout" on some reticle options but great prices on the PST Gen IIs.

I've got both. For most uses I would prefer the VX5. Glass is better, it is significantly lighter, the locking turret is great for hunting.

Why do I have a PST? I wanted a higher magnification scope for a 223 rifle and the 5-25 was (is?) on sale at Euro Optic for $650 with an older reticle. For whatever reason Leupold prices their higher magnification scopes much higher. For that use, I like it. I only shoot the rifle at the range so the weight isn't a big deal. The glass is decent for the price point and it appears to track true.

Care to expand on that statement?
Sure. Will start with those two brands compromise the majority of the 40-50 scopes I have on hand. I have a VX5 3-15 and a Diamondback 6-24 sitting on the shelf waiting on rifles.

Leupold and vortex source all their glass from over seas. Leupold from China vortex from China phillipines and some others. They also source many many of their components from over seas.....or I should say IMPORT THEIR COMPONENTS.

They also have some components and even scopes put together and than imported to the USA.

They also put scopes together in the USA with imported components. The government can set standards to allow them and companies the hide the fact we have sold almost all of our manufacturing abilities to our enemies. The human population is extremely ignorant and getting worse every day.

For me ASSEMBLED FROM PRE MADE IMPORTED PARTS is nothing like MADE IN THE USA.

Find an old Plum axe and sharpen it by hand with stones next to a brand new Collins if you need an example.

Last edited:
I've got both. For most uses I would prefer the VX5. Glass is better, it is significantly lighter, the locking turret is great for hunting.

Why do I have a PST? I wanted a higher magnification scope for a 223 rifle and the 5-25 was (is?) on sale at Euro Optic for $650 with an older reticle. For whatever reason Leupold prices their higher magnification scopes much higher. For that use, I like it. I only shoot the rifle at the range so the weight isn't a big deal. The glass is decent for the price point and it appears to track true.
Lol. Don't need to justify Vortex brother. I use the heck out of them My favorite general scope is the Diamondback. Even have some crossfires and PST.

Every single Leupold scope I own, which is many, say are made in USA!
Yep I covered that in a post above. To each their own and if a sticker advertising or claim satisfies you as MADE IN USA is up to you. Here is a quick link.

If you dig deeper into this they can import a part touch it with a red curly one in the USA, and now claim it's a USA sourced part to apply to their 50-60-% "LEGAL to claim MADE IN USA".

Sure. Will start with those two brands compromise the majority of the 40-50 scopes I have on hand. I have a VX5 3-15 and a Diamondback 6-24 sitting on the shelf waiting on rifles.

Leupold and vortex source all their glass from over seas. Leupold from China vortex from China phillipines and some others. They also source many many of their components from over seas.....or I should say IMPORT THEIR COMPONENTS.

They also have some components and even scopes put together and than imported to the USA.

They also put scopes together in the USA with imported components. The government can set standards to allow them and companies the hide the fact we have sold almost all of our manufacturing abilities to our enemies. The human population is extremely ignorant and getting worse every day.

For me ASSEMBLED FROM PRE MADE IMPORTED PARTS is nothing like MADE IN THE USA.

Find an old Plum axe and sharpen it by hand with stones next to a brand new Collins if you need an example.
Leupold only imports their low end glass from China. Their Gold Ring optics come from Japan and Europe.

Also all hard parts in gold ring optics are machined and assembled in Oregon.

Recent Posts