Leupold or IOR best value for money?

Glock119

I have a chance to purchase a new Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T M1 for $575 or a new IOR Tactical 2.5-10x42 for $579. Which would be the best deal?

It would be going on a Rem700 SA 300WSM with a Hart Barrel and a HS Precision Stock. I have a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 on it as thats what I had at time and farthest shots hunting up north are typicaly 25yrds to 200 yrds at best. With shorter shots being the norm. At this point it is more of a plinker as there is no where local to hunt at extended ranges.

I hope to use this at some point to go south or west and do some long range hunting. Realistically 500 yrds hunting but maybe more if I find that my equipment and I are capable and consistent at greater distances and 1000 yrds plinking, as I have located a 1000 yrd range just south of us. Thus the reason for the new optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would like to hear from people who have owned or used either. Thanks for the info.
Ben

Get the Leupold. Excellent scope for a good price and excellent customer service.

Both good scopes, but I prefer the IOR. I've had 3 of the tacticle 2.5-10 over the years, and still have one on a .300 Jarrett. IMO the MP8 reticle is hard to beat. I've had very good experiences with the accuracy and repeatability of their turrets, and the glass is as good as any euro glass out there. Based on your description of your hunting I would sure prefer the 2.5 over the 4.5 at the bottom end. I hunt elk mostly, and I like the 2.5 for close shots in the timber. I have also done a lot of shooting at the 500 yd mark with the scope set on 10, and it has worked well. I went with the IOR, and would again.

Purchase the IOR and never look back. I own 3 Mark 4 Leuy's and even Leuy's best can't compare to glass of the IOR scope.

I did a little test last year while pig hunting. I had my son in the blind who was using his .243 with a 2.5-10X42mm tactical IOR. I had my tactical .308 with a Leuy 6.5-20X50mm Mark 4 M1LR scope.

First there is no comparison when looking through the scopes when they are side-by-side. The IOR glass is night and day above the Leuy.

At dusk I evaluated them for light transmission. I set them both at the same zoom settings. Even with the 50mm objective, the Leuy gave out almost 2 full minutes earlier than the IOR with it's 42MM objective. Better yet, I set the Leuy on 6.5 power and the IOR on 10X and the IOR still out performed the Leuy in light gathering.

Go IOR and never look back. I'll never own another Leuy.

I have had a chance for a while now to fondle and play with the Leupold but have never even seen a IOR other than pics on the web.

I have read so much about the IOR's that I have become very interested in them, but am reluctant to purchase sight unseen. Thus the reason for my post.

I have been reading the posts from this sight for some time now and just recently started to join in on the topics. I respect every ones opinions and really do appreciate the differences of opinions.

It is your opinions that I will use to help make my final decision and I want to say thanks ahead of time for all the help. Ben

Also I love the turrets on the Leupold and have heard that the turrets and adjustments are a little different on the IOR. Would any of you care to help me understand the difference and the pros and cons based on your experiences?

For example the leuys have a positive clicks or spots in the turrets barrels that help keep them zeroed and I read that the IORs the barrels rotate freely and are held in place by two set screw on top of the turrets and in the article this was looked upon by the writer as a negative thing, because should those screws loosen you would loose zero. Have any of you seen anything like this?

Also I love the fact that the reticle for the IORs are etched into the glass and have that magnum posi stop. What about eye relief? Does this seem to be a problem for any of you whith the IORs?

And if I can ask one last question what would be considered the farthest you might use the 10x power on your IORs? Thanks again, Ben

Shadowman,

I have a new IOR fixed 10X tactical on my new left-handed DPMS AR-15. I'm going the opposite direction of most shooters and going back to the lower power scopes.

Consider this, the USMC scout snipers use a fixed Unertl 10X on both their .308 M40A1 rifles as well as well as their 50 cals. They don't rely on a lot of magification to shoot extremly long ranges.

The turrets on the IOR have positive clicks like most scopes, they don't turn freely. Eye relief has been very good and I have not experienced any issues with it.

As for the two screws on the turret, you are incorrect. The turret moves just like any other scopes turrets. Turn in the direction you want and the cross hairs move and they move. The two screw are for when you have your zero and you want to put the turret back to the zero mark without moving the cross hairs. Yes, it's a bit different than the US scopes, but it is very common on Euro scopes. Takes all of 10 seconds to learn.
Just my $0.02 worth

IOR IOR IOR.
Used to have Leupolds but have ben switching to IOR(two 16X)and two 6-24,one 30mm and one 35mm) all with MP-8 reticles.The glass in the IOR is much better than Leupold!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts