IOR or Leupold for 7WSM?

Greywolf18

So just needing some opinions on what scope to put on my 7WSM being put together by the smith currently. I was dead set on the Viper PST, but don't think I will get them anytime soon, soooooo back to the drawing board. The scopes I was looking at were a lil above my price range but I figured as much as I spent on the rifle it deserves the best. I am looking for a mil/mil FFP scope. Currently can get a great deal on a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-16x50 M5 for $1200-1300. I've also been reading about how the IOR Valdala 3-18x50 is awesome, but it's a lil more @ $1500. I really like IOR MP-8 reticle. The only problem I have with either, and it is really a nitpicking thing, is that there is no zero stop. The gun will be used mainly for hunting, but want to build it so that eventually I can get into LRH/shooting. I want to build it for LRH/shooting from the beginning so I don't have to buy another scope/setup later on down the line. Thanks for your opinion!

So just needing some opinions on what scope to put on my 7WSM being put together by the smith currently. I was dead set on the Viper PST, but don't think I will get them anytime soon, soooooo back to the drawing board. The scopes I was looking at were a lil above my price range but I figured as much as I spent on the rifle it deserves the best. I am looking for a mil/mil FFP scope. Currently can get a great deal on a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-16x50 M5 for $1200-1300. I've also been reading about how the IOR Valdala 3-18x50 is awesome, but it's a lil more @ $1500. I really like IOR MP-8 reticle. The only problem I have with either, and it is really a nitpicking thing, is that there is no zero stop. The gun will be used mainly for hunting, but want to build it so that eventually I can get into LRH/shooting. I want to build it for LRH/shooting from the beginning so I don't have to buy another scope/setup later on down the line. Thanks for your opinion!

I don't know much about the IOR but I do know that the Leupold MK4 is a great scope for the money and Leupold makes Turret knobs that have your zeros on them if you send them your
drop tables that will fit the MK 4 and they work well.

J E CUSTOM

a). Where did you find a IOR 3-18x50 for $1500'ish? Are you sure it's not the 3-18x42?

b). The IOR 3-18x50 is a completely new scope with electronic illumination and zero stop. I've seen them for $1895. Look like a GREAT scope.

c). IMHO Leupold has as many or more question marks with reagrd to reliability and quality as IOR.

John

I have an IOR 4-14x50ultra40mm tube on a 338 lapua and i love it,this is a sfp/moa model, the large elevation turret is great even without a zero stop, one full turn gives me 25 moa,this was my latest LR scope purchase, my other 2 LR scopes are a s&b pm11 and NF nxs.

Well decided on the leupold....so I placed the order and they said it was on backorder so now I'm back to just waiting again. Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll let you know how it turns out whenever I finally get a scope for it. So now I'll have a new rifle just sitting in the safe for a couple of weeks (depending on when I get it from the smith) waiting on optics. The hardest part about my first custom project is all the waiting!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.