Leupold Long Range Bases - 20 MOA pre-cant

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ricka0, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ricka0

ricka0 Well-Known Member

Leupold (pronouced LEW-POLED) has tapered 1 piece bases - which use Lew-poled STD rings - tapered about 20 MOA so you get 20 MOA more elevation. Avail for Rem 700 long and short actions. Only $21. The Std Rings are ( 30mm for my scopes ) are only $33 pair.
    I know the Lew-pold QRW rings aren't good for anything larger than a .22 rim fire (OK, maybe a bit bigger - but they won't hold up to heavy hitters).
    I have 3 new RUMS (300, 338, 375) which I'm having Kirby install a Holland QD break on each.
    I will lap the rings with the SInclair Scope Lapping kit.
    Finally the #$%^ question.
    This set up is so much cheaper than any other tapered base/ring set up I've looked into - will they work for my RUMS (given the Holland QD break will really soften the kick)?
    The guns are each getting a Lew-Pold VX-III, 4.5x14 50mm scopes (30mm tube as mentioned). I like the idea of going all Lew-Pold - the low price is a bonus if it works.

2. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

ditch the dovetail mounts/rings. They will hold on smaller calibers and for a while on bigger rigs,..but they will give up sooner or later. On your RUM,..I would suggest you go with a picatinny style tacical mount and cross slot rings. Look at the Ken Farrel products for a price compromise,..they are machined very well.

3. ricka0

ricka0 Well-Known Member

That's what I suspected - if the $54 set up worked fine, why pay $188 (Ken Farrell long range base - Rem Long Action 1 piece, 20 MOA - $63, 30mm High rings .443", $125)

--thx for the advice

4. cdmorten

cdmorten Well-Known Member

I've been really happy with the IOR Valdada bases. I get them at Cactus Tactical. They run about $85 and are super tough. For rings I love the Badger Ordnance rings. I bought one set new from snipercountry.com in the PX section. They have good prices there. Those things are bomb proof. I bought another set used on the same website in the "unclassifieds". You can get a great deal on a used set. It's not like they're going to wear out either. Mine happened to be lapped as well.

5. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

corbett,..if they weren't lapped while attached to your bases on your rifle,..that means little. Re-lapp them if you get a chance.

b1g-b0re,..I have had the leupold dovetail bases give up on me. Go to a cross slotted base from at least ken farrel or try a warne ring/base kit if you don't go with IOR, Nightforce, Badger, near mfg etc.