Leupold Long Range Bases - 20 MOA pre-cant

ricka0

Leupold (pronouced LEW-POLED) has tapered 1 piece bases - which use Lew-poled STD rings - tapered about 20 MOA so you get 20 MOA more elevation. Avail for Rem 700 long and short actions. Only $21. The Std Rings are ( 30mm for my scopes ) are only $33 pair.
I know the Lew-pold QRW rings aren't good for anything larger than a .22 rim fire (OK, maybe a bit bigger - but they won't hold up to heavy hitters).
I have 3 new RUMS (300, 338, 375) which I'm having Kirby install a Holland QD break on each.
I will lap the rings with the SInclair Scope Lapping kit.
Finally the #$%^ question.
This set up is so much cheaper than any other tapered base/ring set up I've looked into - will they work for my RUMS (given the Holland QD break will really soften the kick)?
The guns are each getting a Lew-Pold VX-III, 4.5x14 50mm scopes (30mm tube as mentioned). I like the idea of going all Lew-Pold - the low price is a bonus if it works.

ditch the dovetail mounts/rings. They will hold on smaller calibers and for a while on bigger rigs,..but they will give up sooner or later. On your RUM,..I would suggest you go with a picatinny style tacical mount and cross slot rings. Look at the Ken Farrel products for a price compromise,..they are machined very well.

That's what I suspected - if the $54 set up worked fine, why pay $188 (Ken Farrell long range base - Rem Long Action 1 piece, 20 MOA - $63, 30mm High rings .443", $125)

--thx for the advice

I've been really happy with the IOR Valdada bases. I get them at Cactus Tactical. They run about $85 and are super tough. For rings I love the Badger Ordnance rings. I bought one set new from snipercountry.com in the PX section. They have good prices there. Those things are bomb proof. I bought another set used on the same website in the "unclassifieds". You can get a great deal on a used set. It's not like they're going to wear out either. Mine happened to be lapped as well.

corbett,..if they weren't lapped while attached to your bases on your rifle,..that means little. Re-lapp them if you get a chance.

b1g-b0re,..I have had the leupold dovetail bases give up on me. Go to a cross slotted base from at least ken farrel or try a warne ring/base kit if you don't go with IOR, Nightforce, Badger, near mfg etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.