Leupold GR Vs Vortex Razor HD Vs Athlon Ares?

xugz0212

Going to get my 1st spotting scope. Main usage would be spotting at range out to 500 yard (but considering 1000 yard in the future), and also do a few hunting. My budget is no more than $1400

I've narrowed down my options to:

* Leupold GR 12-40*60 HD
* Vortex Razor HD 22-48
* Vanguard Endeavor HD 15-45x65
* Pentax EDII 65
* Athlon Ares 15-45×65 ED
* Athlon Cronus 20-60×86 ED
* Meopta Meopro HD 80 20-60×80

I've heard lots of good things about leupold gr especially optics considering its weight and size. My main concern for leupold is they only offer non-reticle or moa-reticle options, and no mil reticle. Their MARK4 model with mil reticle doesn't have HD glass, and they just discontinued the H32 and H36 hash reticles and only provide some ugly mil reticle IMO. Another concern is if 40X power is enough for spotting holes out to 500 yards?

Vortex razor hd seems a good way to go as I can always replace the eyepiece with a mil one. However, I'm concerning it's weight and size even for the 22-48 model.

Had zero experience Vanguard, but this model keeps popping out when I doing research online and a lot say it kinda on par with Razor HD regarding glassing performance. Not sure if it is true but the price is attractive anyway.

Pentax seems to be widely recommended by a lot of birding forums, but it seems a bit dated and I'm not sure how it is compared with leupold and vortex.

Athlon ares seems getting some good reviews online. But it's really not a popular model and I'm not able to justify if it deserves the money as it's kinda in the middle price range and my past experience told me "buy once, cry once", so getting a middle price range scope might be a waste as i will upgrade to a premium one in the future most likely.

Athlon Cronus is up to 60× power but still have a reasonable size. Not sure how good it is but the cronus rifle scope line has a good reputation.

Meopta is said to be on higher tier than vortex razor. For this particular, how does it perform?

Also, is 40 or 48 power enough to spot holes at 500 yards? What about 600 or even futher? I know there are 80+mm spotting scopes available, but I just cannot image carrying such a big monster with me all day around. Any other options I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe for a few hhundred more you could get a swaro or Leica spotter in 65mm objective with 15x50 or 20x60 eye piece. For that little bit of added money you will not need to up grade later. If it were me though I look more at the80mm objectives they are heavier but let in way more light. Check around a bit you may even find a used Swaro or Leica in you price range you never know.

I have the Leupold 12-40x60 HD and often struggle to see bullet holes at 200yds with any mirage. If you're not using it for hunting you might be better off looking at one of the new target camera systems.

To me, the Vortex Razor is a much better scope optically than the Pentax.
Vortex optics are really really good and in the 65mm scope the image is sharp, and clear across the entire range. read good reviews on the Meopta Meopro HD 80 20-60×80 also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.