Athlon BTR vs Vortex Diamondback

You won't be disappointed if you go with the Argos BTR. I use the Argos BTR 6-24x50 MIL/MIL APMR and at the 1000 line, you can see a 10" plate real good, even at the 16x, where I usually am. And the reticle is very useful.

Are you looking at the regular diamondback or diamondback tactical? The tactical ffp line has etched glass
Yes, Vortex Tactical line is part of their upper tier level.

The point is....if you buy a Vortex, you have to check if the reticles are wire or not.

I built a 6.5 Creedmoor for my son in law...he wanted the mid level Athlon. He already had a high end Vortex ($1,000). When he shot the two rifles on the same day he told me; "wow I wasted a bunch of money on this scope." My daughter is a workaholic and they own their own company...he has top tier, money but knows good glass when he see it!

I have an Athlon Cronus BTR on my 300 WM and it is a good scope... darn near as good as my NF NXS. It is also listed as one of the better scopes experienced for long range shooting on Dan Newberry's site.

I dropped my 6.5 Grendel in a howa mini action from chest high on the concrete garage floor yes. I know, incredible but true. It hit on the Athlon and bounced. I threw up in my mouth a little. I took it out to my range and put three into .75 the fourth one opened up a bit. It took a real shot when it fell but all is well!

If you stepped up to the Athlon Midas series, you get HD glass and if you get the gen 2 Midas BTR you get a great zero stop. Yes it is second focal plane which is what keeps the price down, but do you really need a first focal plane scope for your purposes. Hunting, I think not.

You could step up a bit more to the Midas Tac and get first focal plane if one needed that along with the HD glass and the good zero stop.

Last edited:
I think this version is made in Japan by a popular scope company. I am interested in looking through one of these.

Yes sir, that's the point of my earlier post. Even the best stuff is made in an Asian country.

I recently bought a Bushnell Equinox night vision unit...Designed in the USA, but manufactured in an Asian country (don't remember which country) it's right there in the paperwork...

If everything instantly disappeared that was made by Asian country...we'd all be sitting around naked with nothing to do!

Yes sir, that's the point of my earlier post. Even the best stuff is made in an Asian country.

I recently bought a Bushnell Equinox night vision unit...Designed in the USA, but manufactured in an Asian country (don't remember which country) it's right there in the paperwork...

If everything instantly disappeared that was made by Asian country...we'd all be sitting around naked with nothing to do!

Good call! Lots of high end camera lenses make there as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.