Athlon BTR vs Vortex Diamondback

Loopy and Redfield are US made, but Redfields are hunting scopes and the Leopoulds are outside my budget.

TRACT looks good, but I don't think they make FFP, so Athlon is in the lead. Gonna be on a 223 bolt gun, so it should hold up.
redfield is , i believe, owned by leupold and made in beaverton , oregon

I just bought an Athlon ares, 4.5-27 for $599. FFP Mil/mil I've bought 2 so far. And I've sold ALL of my vortex optics. I've had a 4-16 viper pst, 6-24 hst, razor lh 2-10, strike Eagle 1-6. I don't plan on buying any vortex products ever again. The glass on the ares isn't awesome, but it's as good as all the vortex scopes I've had

I'm looking for a ffp scope for my 300 win mag. Considering the Vortex PST GEN II 5-25×50 and the Athlon Argos GEN 2 BTR 8-34×56 ffp. The Vortex is double the price. I will be using this for Out West Hunting Maybe once a year and occasionally target practice. I almost pulled the trigger on the Athlon but I read a few reviews that said it had bad eye relief and they only recommended using it with a bench rest for target practice. I'd rather have the vortex name but at Double the cost is there any reason not to buy the Athlon for hunting once or twice a year?

I'm looking for a ffp scope for my 300 win mag. Considering the Vortex PST GEN II 5-25×50 and the Athlon Argos GEN 2 BTR 8-34×56 ffp. The Vortex is double the price. I will be using this for Out West Hunting Maybe once a year and occasionally target practice. I almost pulled the trigger on the Athlon but I read a few reviews that said it had bad eye relief and they only recommended using it with a bench rest for target practice. I'd rather have the vortex name but at Double the cost is there any reason not to buy the Athlon for hunting once or twice a year?
The Argos is not a good comparison to the PST2. The Ares is more comparable. The Argos is proven to be a great scope for the money, but the 8-32 power will be very limiting in eye relief and field of view. Also total elevation adjustment is less than the 6-24 power version. That particular scope design is used by several manufacturers and it's proven to track fairly reliably. I would definitely recommend the 6-24 power version. But here's a little hint, they are coming out with a gen 2 version of the Argos and the Ares, both with upgraded turret feel. So, the current Argos and Ares will be cheap in 2020. Both are good scopes, with the Ares beating the Argos in every category.

I am not a vortex fan at all, I've owned a couple athlons. Athlon is good for the price BUT look at MEOPTA. Wayy more scope than the vortex. Same price. Hands down, Meopta

The Argos is not a good comparison to the PST2. The Ares is more comparable. The Argos is proven to be a great scope for the money, but the 8-32 power will be very limiting in eye relief and field of view. Also total elevation adjustment is less than the 6-24 power version. That particular scope design is used by several manufacturers and it's proven to track fairly reliably. I would definitely recommend the 6-24 power version. But here's a little hint, they are coming out with a gen 2 version of the Argos and the Ares, both with upgraded turret feel. So, the current Argos and Ares will be cheap in 2020. Both are good scopes, with the Ares beating the Argos in every category.
Thank you ,back to the drawing board.

I bought a Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50.... mounted it on .300wm and after getting it sighted in, took it off as it's not the scope I thought it would be!! It's in its box on a shelf waiting for ??? but not me.

I bought a Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50.... mounted it on .300wm and after getting it sighted in, took it off as it's not the scope I thought it would be!! It's in its box on a shelf waiting for ??? but not me.
If I might ask, what did you not like about the scope?

Hey bd,
It's a good scope until you hit just above 13-15 after that the scope continues to darken the higher in mag. you get.
The son has a Nikon FX-1000 and has no problem up into the 20's, just not really what I wanted in a scope at the price I paid for it.
We don't have a large amount of places that carry a lot of different brands of scopes so I went off some of the reviews and hype from some of the forums I've checked with.

My Ares was a lot brighter at higher mag than my Burris xtr2 and Bushnell elite 6-24 and 3.5-21 DMR2.

Last edited:
Hey bd,
It's a good scope until you hit just above 13-15 after that the scope continues to darken the higher in mag. you get.
The son has a Nikon FX-1000 and has no problem up into the 20's, just not really what I wanted in a scope at the price I paid for it.
We don't have a large amount of places that carry a lot of different brands of scopes so I went off some of the reviews and hype from some of the forums I've checked with.
Thanks for replying! I have a Argos and thought it was pretty good for the price. I havent looked thru any of their other models.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.