Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP vs Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50 FFP

atl5029

I'm currently batting these two options back and forth for a scope to top my latest project (pictured below, 338 RCM). Both more or less have the same feature set I am looking for in a scope for this gun, and I am trying to weigh pros and cons of each based on where they are different. Problem is, I am not very familiar with Athlon optics. I've been a Vortex guy for a while, and I have a Viper PST Gen1 6-24x50 on my first ever long range rig, and a Razor HD LH 3-15x42 on another hunting rifle, as well as a few various Diamondbacks, and I have been very pleased with all scopes thus far. My friend recently got an Athlon Chronus BTR 4.5-29x56 and he raves about it, saying it is just as good of glass as anything he has looked through to include Vortex, Leupold, Nightforce, etc. I've taken a look myself and it seems at least as good as my Razor glass. So here is my dilemma...

Pros of the Razor LHT is that it comes in 5.6 oz lighter than the Athlon, and maybe has better glass (my main questions here). Pros of the Ares are 5x more magnification on the high end and price. The Athlon is about half the price of the Vortex, and if the glass is similar enough, the only trade I see is a bit more magnification for 5.6 oz of extra weight, neither of which I think would make or break a situation in the field, but usually I err on the light of lighter gear.

Can anyone make a direct comparison between these two scopes with regard to glass quality, or can you put the Ares line into a similar comparison with something I am more familiar with? (Vortex, Leupold). Thanks!

Edit: When I google the Athlon scope in question with the word vortex, it brings up quite a few comparisons between it and the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50. Is that a fair comparison in glass quality or is the Athlon better than Viper PST?
338rcm.jpg

Last edited:
My range partner has a S&B. Our Midas TACs are as good as it is. Our Ares ETRs which are step up from the Midas line are as good as it is. Our Ares are on 338LMs and no issues. I know alot of guys worry about weight but will you really notice 5oz? I think either scope will work just fine for you.

I have the Athlon you are talking about. The glass is fine in full light but the scope gets very hazy in low light. Couldn't see clearly enough to take a shot with at least 15 minutes of legal light left. Was equally bad in early morning light as well.

I have the Athlon you are talking about. The glass is fine in full light but the scope gets very hazy in low light. Couldn't see clearly enough to take a shot with at least 15 minutes of legal light left. Was equally bad in early morning light as well.
At what range are we talking?

I have a Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on a .308 and a Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 on a rimfire. I prefer the glass in the Vortex, it seems brighter in lower light. Not just early and late, but overcast in thick woods. I prefer the reticle too, but that is just personal preference and I knew that when I got it. One thing I do not like on the LHT is the illumination button. I do not like having to go to the top setting to back down.

"To Adjust Illumination Brightness Once the illumination is on, repeatedly push the button to cycle through 10 levels of brightness. When adjusted to the maximum or minimum brightness, the dot will flash, and the direction of adjustment will reverse. You must go to the maximum or minimum setting to change the direction of adjustment"

When you say half the price of the athlon what places are you searching? Right now you can get a deal on the 4.5-22 LHT for 1k new. That's a hell of a scope in my opinion for 1k. I don't have the athlon but am debating getting another LHT to have on hand at this price. Like mentioned above the illumination sucks on the scope but I never use that function anyway.

When you say half the price of the athlon what places are you searching? Right now you can get a deal on the 4.5-22 LHT for 1k new. That's a hell of a scope in my opinion for 1k. I don't have the athlon but am debating getting another LHT to have on hand at this price. Like mentioned above the illumination sucks on the scope but I never use that function anyway.
where are you finding it for $1k? Best deal i can find right now is a little under $1200, but when I say half, i do mean half of that.

Buddy has the same Athlon, I have the same LHT. I've seen them side by side plenty.

Glass is a lot better on the LHT, such that useable resolution is probably not a whole lot better with the Athlon, despite the extra magnification. I seem to be able to spot bullet holes on paper as far or further with LHT than Athlon.

As mentioned, LHT illumination control is a war crime.

Athlon turrets are mushy.

I have a PST gen II 5-25 and that is a fair comparison with the Ares 4.5-30 for quality/features. I prefer the PST, but mostly on subjective criteria. Neither is as sharp and bright as the LHT, though it's not some "shameful" difference.

That said, I'm not sure LHT is $600 better, unless the weight and locking elevation turret is critical for your purpose. It was for me, and I had the cash available, but YMMV.

With what I have read in this thread get the Razor. The better glass is why you are paying more. Don't think saving money will help you see better out of poor glass. Do your self a favor and buy the Razor and not want to upgrade in a couple of years. That will cost you way more in the end.

This is really where good optics are separated from mediocre ones. Those first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of daylight are what you need to truly compare scopes like this