Leupold 3.5-10 x 40mm fixed focus, M1 Turrets???

Timber338

Looking for some feedback. I recently built a 338-300 wsm and topped it with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm fixed focus scope. Pac-Nor's 24" lightweight contour barrel is shooting ~5/8" groups consistently at 100 yards with Barnes .338 210 TTSX's @ ~2835 fps using 68 grains of RL-17 and Fed GM215M primers... Accuracy is much better than I was expecting out of a 7.4 pound gun (including scope).

With this kind of accuracy I can comfortably take longer shots with the rifle (out to 500 yards or so), and am looking to have an M1 elevation turret installed ... but is it worth it on a fixed focus scope?

Or should I upgrade to a VX3 Long Range (LR) version??

I had Leupold install the M1's on a 3.5-10X40 Vari X lll. I've been shooting out to 800 yards and it has worked well. Have taken elk out to 460 yards so I have no complaints except one. The turrets are so tall the windage knob hits my wrist when hand carrying the rifle so this summer will have Leupold put the stock adjuster back on and just estimate the hold off for wind when necessary as I have been doing anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.